Sign in to follow this  
simpster

bbPress customization with Platform Pro Dev?

simpster

I've purchased PlatformPro and I'm quite happy with it. However, I would also like to be able to customize my bbPress forum to match the rest of my site. I've gathered that I should upgrade to Platform Pro Dev, but I haven't found any information as to what the Dev-version lets me do? Will I be able to customize the forum without having to edit the CSS (I have little to no experience with CSS), i.e. will bbPress use my Platform theme? Thanks!

Rob
Fortunately, bbPress upgraded their systems to become a plugin which made installation much easier for everyone. On the flipside it made former integration processes obsolete and though it does integrate with PlatformPro, there are some styling and layout issues that remain. Styling is thus an important part of using it. We've switched over to Vanilla, another free, open-source forum plugin that you are seeing now. Get it at http://www.vanillaforums.org. It will save you considerable effort if you're not CSS proficient.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

simpster
Thanks, but that didn't quite answer my question, I think. 1. I've got the impression that Platform Pro Dev comes with bbPress styling/theme integration. Is that correct, or does it still require considerable CSS knowledge? 2. Using Vanilla costs money, as I understand it? The plug-in is free but I have to link the plug-in to an actual forum/account, that comes at USD49, right? 3. Do I need Platform Pro Dev in order to properly integrate Vanilla with my site? 4. What do you meen you've switched over to Vanilla? Does that meen that bbPress won't be a part of Platform Pro Dev any longer? I think it's a bit confusing, and I would much appreciate your help!

Rob
In reply to your response: 1. The bbPress styling/integration was for bbPress 1.1, but now they've converted to bbPress 2.0, a plugin. It has changed everything and there are some unfortunate conflicts we're all trying to work out. 2. Vanilla through the link I provided you, not through the plugin, is free. Follow the link I provided rather than going through different routes. I won't steer you wrong. I've done it myself and also thought the plugin would cost me, but discovered the free source for self hosting. It's great. 3. It couldn't hurt. I have it and it worked great... AND I was able to upgrade to PageLines 2.0 with no trouble. Check out http://www.epicurus.com/discussion/vanilla 4. Our initial release of PageLines 2.0 will include full integration for Vanilla, but because bbPress still has to coordinate with it, bbPress will not be included as a built-in integration. It will probably happen in a next iteration. Our forum at http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion is actually Vanilla, not bbPress. It was set up in PlatformPro 1.5.x

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

simpster
Didn't realize the difference between .org and .com at first, but you're right, .org is free. I've got Vanilla set up now, using ProxyConnect to link it with wpress, works great! Thank you so much for your help!