Sign in to follow this  
Gavin_

Another Vanilla question

Gavin_

Hi You have customised the landing page for the forum and i like the way you have the category headings as the headings would you mind sharing how you achieved this? thanks

Danny
Hi Gavin, I think it's a Homepage setting inside the Vanilla Dashboard --> Homepage and then change it to "Categories and Discussions".

Please search our forums, before posting!

Gavin_
Hi Danny, No that's not it. It gets you half way there but Vanilla on its own does not achieve the effect - some additional coding has been used. thanks anyways.

Simon
What Danny said is exactly right. We have not modified the vanilla code at all.

Gavin_
are you using the latest version of Vanilla as on your main page http://www.pagelines.com/forum/ you have all the headings whereas i only have one heading http://www.brownswood.co.uk/forum/index.php?p=/ you also have a more discussions link at the bottom when i asked at Vanilla they said it was a customisation! any ideas?

Simon
yes latest stable version, trust me the theme has NO custom code lol.

Gavin_
any ideas how my page is different to yours then?

Rob
You have to tell Vanilla that a link for the sidebar categories is a heading. There's a checkbox in Categories "Display root categories as headings." Make sure that's checked. Then, when creating your menu, slide the actual categories one notch to the right, as you do with Wordpress Menus.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Gavin_
I've done that - thanks - still not the same!

Gavin_
yes i have done that already still not the same have you actually looked at the pages i have linked to?

Rob
Yes. But Pross is correct. We did not do any customization. You simply need to use the Vanilla dashboard to tweak your Vanilla settings.

Gavin_
i have tried your suggestion and do not get the headings to appear in the same way, i have also asked the question again at vanilla and they say it is the theme or styling. oh well!

Rob
Gavin, I've done this myself and respectfully, I think either you're being unclear about your desires or not properly following the steps necessary to achieve your objectives. See the images below. In the first, you'll notice that under Manage Categories, in Category Page Layout, you'll find a checkbox option that when checked as shown, makes the top level category a heading, not linked. This picks up the formatting/CSS of your site. If you wish those elements styled differently, then it's up to you to use [url="http://www.getfirebug.com"]Firebug for Firefox[/url] or the tools in Google Chrome to identify the CSS elements and apply styling of your choice. [img]http://www.epicurus.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/vanillacats.jpg[/img] If you see this image, you'll notice this whole thing is in the Forums > Categories area and you'll kindly notice that under "Organize Categories" the top level categories - headings - are flushed left, but the secondary level are indented one notch, just as they might be in Dashboard > Appearance > Menus in WordPress. I might add that just as that works, so too would you simply drag the second tier categories over to create the hierarchy as shown in the oval within the oval below. [img]http://www.epicurus.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/vanillacats1.jpg[/img] If you specifically wish to change the style of the headings to a different appearance or styling, that can be done in Custom Code / CSS Rules. We cannot divine from your complaints how you wish it styled, so that bit is up to you to figure out and manage. You will see below the result with the default CSS of PlatformPro. [img]http://www.epicurus.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/vanillacats2.jpg[/img] As this is the extent of support we can provide here, given your request, I'm accepting this matter on your behalf.

Gavin_
either i have been unclear or have been misunderstood. and i certainly would not want you to divine anything. you may not mean to but you come across as very patronising i appreciate that you are an active helper. [b]and i would respectfully ask that you do not try to answer my questions in the future and leave them for one of the other pagelines moderators.[/b] thank you

Danny
Gavin, what exactly do you want, the answers you've already had should have set your Vanilla forums up to look similar to the ones used on PageLines. Also Rangelone, as far as I can see has put some time and effort with his reply to you. I think the least you could do is be polite and say thank you and then inform him that this didn't help.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Gavin_
Danny You are right I should have been polite and Rangelone went to some effort to demonstrate his point. Thank you Rangelone for trying. However, this: "We cannot divine from your complaints..." What complaints did i make? This is already rude and uncalled for. With regards to this thread its probably best you delete it.