Sign in to follow this  
ryanjohnjackson

Font and Image clarity tips?

ryanjohnjackson

Hi, I've said it before in here I'm new to much of dev. I am a making a few sites right out of the gate for free. One of them is me redoing the website for my job which is a public library. I have been throwing in my own time at home since I'm not the web guy here I'm the IT guy. I might add I have 14 years with photoshop and I've worked on fixing thousands of logos in Illustrator for an awards company; so I have some sense of what things should look like. On my home mac with ff8, my home pc with IE8, my work pc with ubuntu/FF and win7 FF/IE8 my logo's and fonts look perfect. Logo is clean/clear and the menu is clean and smooth. BUT my boss's IE7 the font looks digital and the logo is hazy. I thought it was his browser and pc settings but they looks normal for smoothing and compression. On another PC I opened FF8 and IE 8. IE 8 shows it perfectly and FF8 shows the font digitized... The logo also looks hazy on that machine. I checked the prefs no compression and font smoothing has to be on or IE8 wouldn't have the font smooth. HUH? (The body has an image that only certain gamma's can see. That I'll have to alter. On my mac it's too visable on windows most LCDs cant see it.) 1. Best tip for maintaining font and image quality for most platforms 2. IE7/8 seems to squish the image at the bottom of the page and on another site I did. FF looks fine. Very rough draft of the site so far, most the links are blank pages for placement's sake. http://wppl.ryanjohnjackson.com/ As usual thanks!

ryanjohnjackson
Forgot to mention, I know we have 0 control over people upping their contrast or turning off font smoothing.

ryanjohnjackson
Ah, part of the font answer may be I wasn't using a websafe font. I haven't had time to test but that's probably it. Way lucida grande... now it's a spaced out bold arial. That should fix that. Still not explained: why my logo is blurry on some machines why IE squishes the nextgen thumbnails and my footer city logo image.

Rob
Ryan, different browsers do different things and unfortunately, no theme can control that, no matter the good intentions of their developers or their best efforts. I recall years ago when I built a website for a NYC beverage company, and on my computer it looked absolutely perfect. My client saw a horrible, digitized blur. I had to take her (the owner) to a public library computer to show her that it wasn't my work, but her AOL browser that was rendering the image poorly. AOL finally gave me some guidance about fixing the image to work with their systems. To her, it still never looked right though. Unfortunately, I'm not a graphics expert, and the manner in which graphics render is somewhat out of our realm. I'm unsure why IE "squishes" thumbnails, but suggest you check with NextGen about that. I don't believe that's theme related either.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

ryanjohnjackson
Yeah, I know what you mean but it's just weird since I'm the admin, the settings are the same, updates are the same, machine models are the same, video cards the same, lcd the same and the logo looks different on 3 machines lol I checked nextgen and found nothing on it. I searched the internet and only found fixes for centering the thumbnail within its div which was my original issue. Then it looked great on FF on any machine. In IE it looks like someone crushed the sides lol

kastelic
If your only problem is in IE7, IE8, or IE6 then you are luck because you can use IE conditional comments to apply CSS to only those browsers. Here's an article: http://www.positioniseverything.net/articles/cc-plus.html Here's an example you could apply to the head of your document using a hook: (info on hooks: http://www.pagelines.com/docs/base-child-theme) [code] [/code]