Sign in to follow this  
_jan_

custom loop in a page

_jan_

I'm building a static home page where I want a section to show the latest N posts from category X, in an abridged format like PlatformPro post clips or similar. I have thought of several ways to do that: - a slider: but it does not show post title or excerpt, most posts will not have a featured image anyway, etc. - universal sidebar or full width sidebar (what's the difference between the two?): using the miniloops plugin to place a miniloop widget into the said sidebar. http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/mini-loops/ Is there a more elegant, straightforward way to do that? How would you do it?

Rob
A plugin called Special Recent Posts is best. http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/special-recent-posts/ When setting up your static page, use the Feature Page template, then edit that in Dashboard > PlatformPro > Template... removing anything you don't want. Special Recent Posts uses customizable shortcodes which you can add to the main body of the page to emulate (not exactly) the typical blog post with title, thumbnail and excerpt as well as a link below.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

_jan_
Interesting. Full width page template, plus the SRP showrtcode. In fact, Miniloops could be used in the same way as a shortcode in the page content. Special Recent Posts is a bit more refined than Miniloops and much more convenient.

Rob
Occasionally I find a winner. Not always; just occasionally.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur