Sign in to follow this  
stellitak

Transparent Page

stellitak

Hello everyone! I am a newbie when it comes to WP and Platform Pro with no programming knowledge and I would really appreciate your help. I have created a background image in photoshop which I want to use in my website as a background behind the text (with no other "canvas"in between. The result I am trying to achieve is similar to this : www.creativeg.gr How do I do that in Platform Pro? If I have to add some custom code, do I just add it to the custom code box and it will work automatically? Thank you in advance for your help!

stellitak
I have fixed the transparency problem by adding #page-canvas {background : transparent !important} to the Custom Code box. I would like to ask a couple more questions if possible because I haven't found the answers in the forum : 1. Which is a safe size for a background picture? Somewhere it is mentioned that 2046px is safe. I assume this is the width right? Are there any particular settings I should use when exporting an background image from photoshop? (e.g. png transparency). 2. Does the background 'respond' to the size of the visitor's screen? 3. How can I make the background non-scrolling? I would like the text to scroll but not the background image. Again, thank you in advance for all help!!

Jenny
Glad you were able to figure out the transparency. As far as the background size, I'm honestly not sure what size is considered safe. Another alternative would be to have a background color that will display in case the user's monitor is wider than the image. When exporting, the only thing I recommend is the file size. You want it to be small enough so it loads right away instead of having to download. The background doesn't necessarily respond to the size of the visitors screen, it just depends on how you have it set up (i.e. fixed). More info here: http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_background.asp

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

stellitak
Thank you SO much for your help!! The link you provided is a real treasure!

stellitak
Regarding the background picture, when you say small enough, is 560KB good for example or should it be smaller? Again, many thanks for your help!

Rob
Did you say 560Kb? That's half a megabyte and will take one Mega Bite out of your page load time. I'd suggest you get that down to about 125Kb or lower if you can.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur