Sign in to follow this  
cornell2

Posts-Page Selectors

cornell2

Damn. Another day of spending hours trying to do something that should take under a minute. All I want to do is put a border around the blog posts page (main blog page). Pagelines Pro dashboard says the selectors are #maincontent .content-pad for the inner content of the posts page (where I want to put the border). But of course it doesn't work. eg. #maincontent .content-pad {border:1.5px solid black;} I tried many other combos - but most of them either have no affect, affect other pages too, or do various things to the sidebar area. I then proceeded to use firebug (chrome's 'inspector') ... for 2 hours to try to find the selector combo that would only affect this one page. While I wait for the NSA cryptologists to get back to me with their analysis of the CSS on the page, perhaps someone here can put me out of my misery and suggest the magic ID/class combo I need? Thanks!

Rob
Somehow I suspect there's little need for decoder rings or wrist-radios or Dick Tracy either. May I have a link to your site and I'll happily try to give you a solution?

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

cornell2
unfortunately this site is still under development and private. don't want to post a public link nor make the site public (yet) not sure why one needs to see this site in particular. Using Platformpro ... I need to selectors that define the content area of the main blog page (containing all the posts listed). In the template area TEMPLATES==> POSTS PAGES Content area (drag n drop) "This is the section of the site that contains the main content for your site, including sidebars, page/post content" [me - this is vague. at first this seems like the selectors to follow are for ALL content sections. BUT this description is unique to the posts pages template. however, I am right - these selectors affect ALL pages] CSS Selectors #maincontent (full screen width) #maincontent .content (content width) #maincontent .content-pad (content inner) nice to list these selectors, but a little useless (or at least misleading) - since using them affects ALL pages - not just the posts page. ahem. it is my expection that when one documents a selector, that it, um, "selects" something specific - and not affect everything. is this snarky? you bet. I was a lot more fun to be around 3 hours ago when trying to do this ONE SIMPLE task. AGAIN. I just want to put a boarder around the blog posts that appear on the main blog page (the one that is often the home page of most blogs, listing the most recent posts). I don't want to select individual posts nor do I want to affect any other type of page. This should be one simple ID/Class - with which I can assign a boarder.

Simon
OK, to the theme of 'Secret Agent Man'by the Dickies.... If you look at the source of ANY WordPress blog, it always has dynamic body classes, and they change depending if you are on the blog page, a static page, a post or a specific page, examples: home single post-122 page-654 etc etc ;) This has been part of WordPress for quite a while now.

Rob
And for that reason, as stated by @pross, without seeing your site, it's incredibly difficult to provide you with guidance about the CSS for a border. If I look at my sites, they will be different than yours because the variables I use likely will not be the same.

cornell2
I understand this. But understand I am trying to merely set "a" border for "a" page. And when I want to do something for a specific page out of the 50 that I have, I certainly know how to do this. But on his platform - when one want change a specific global element (for instance a sidebar or the font for every blog post, pagelines has as specific set of selectors - however hard they are to find sometimes ...) Thanks for he quick replies. Much appreciated.

Rob
Cornell, again, without being able to see the specific page and view it in tools like Firebug, we'd have a very tough if not impossible task of finding just the right selector to modify. I must also politely point out that things like font changes for every post are possible, but no theme, nor even WordPress itself is designed to accommodate that. It's also incredibly unusual to have borders set for specific pages. We'd be happy to try and isolate the right code for you, if we were able to see the site live. Until you're able to provide the link, I don't think we're going to be able to do this. Once it's live, then you'll have a much greater chance of success.

cornell2
Just to clarify, yet again. I am not referring to changing individual blog posts - where every new post is a new page id etc ... I am referring to the "Posts" page (not singular post page). So, like modifying sidebar1, the branding or nav properties, apparently (and understandably) platformpro has assigned specific IDs and classes for the main blogposts layout. It's just that the selectors published don't seem to have the effect one would expect. Thanks again. I'll get it eventually.

Rob
Under those terms, which read differently than some of your earlier questions here, the tag would be a class called mcolumn-pad. That is the content area that contains the blog/magazine entries or the main content in the posts and pages. I know that class has some serious padding, so I'm unsure exactly where the border would appear.

cornell2
Almost! This seems to put a border around most of the "pages" and "posts" (actually I think your note sort of implies this too) - except for box/pages and other special pages. This good news is that this class formats my border in such a way that it does not display the sidebars like the other ones did. Now all I need is the additional selector that I can add that limits it only to the "posts (all posts/magazine - whatever you call it) page and not any other page nor individual posts. And the magic word is ....? : ) PS - Again, I will point out that probably 80 percent of the questions on these forums can be eliminated or answered by having either a simple wiki, or even more simply - a couple of graphic screenshot-like pages with an overlay of arrows and tags clearly showing which pagelines selectors affect which elements. This is far more efficient for everyone involved and also saves hours of trying to reverse engineer the product with firebug etc.

catrina
It's difficult to determine what that additional selector is without a live link, but I'm going to make an educated guess. Try this one (which should precede the other selectors you already have): body.blog. If it's not correct, use Firebug to look at the body class. Also, a Wiki will be coming soon. ;)

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

cornell2
Nah. I am through with the dozens of hours of reverse engineering platform pro in lieu of documentation. Apparently I am not making myself clear. I am not asking about a custom page or even a specific page. I am asking about the selectors for a template section: "Posts Pages Template Sections" The problem is that the selectors 'documented' under "advanced setup" in Posts Pages Template Sections -> Content Area don't seem to have the expected effect. And that is all I have to work with - the rest is throwing darts.