Sign in to follow this  
[Deleted User]

How to link the RSS feed icon to different feeds

[Deleted User]

I have multilingual RSS feeds (three of them), all burned to Google Feedburner. Now the RSS icon in the header automatically links to /feed in all three languages. How do I link it to Feedburner in each language? Where in theme is the code responsible to where the RSS icon is linking? Appreciate any assistance!

Rob
It would help to see your site. If you are trying to create an RSS icon in the header for each language, I suppose you need a custom RSS graphic and to include those in a hook in the branding area of your site. Read more about this at http://www.pagelines.com/docs/category/child-theme-and-hooks Hooks are included in the functions.php file in the platformbase folder in your site (wp-content/themes/platformbase) In addition to the hook, you would likely need some customized CSS to ensure the images are aligned correctly.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

[Deleted User]
The site is at http://wordofmouthlabs.com There's no custom RSS graphic, just the automatic icon that came with the theme (and it was linking to /feed by default)

kastelic
What plugin are you using to use Google Feedburner with your site, and to make it into 3 languages? Sorry, i'm not very familiar with rss settings. When I subscribe to your feed with Google Reader I only see one post in english. Can you describe your experience when subscribing to the feed?

[Deleted User]
Currently there is no plugin, the feeds are just generated automatically as follows: /feed /ru/feed /lv/feed I just burned them with Google Feedburner and need those feed urls to display on site. There are plugins that would forward the original feed to Feedburner but they only work for one language. To subscribe to a feed in different language, you have to be reading the site in that language. (Language switcher in the header). When you switch the language, you get the corresponding feed when you subscribe.

Rob
If you open wp-content/themes/platformbase/functions.php in a text editor, you'll see an example in there for a StumbleUpon icon and link. (Use your FTP program to do this.) This can be similarly replaced with any custom icon directed to your specific language RSS feeds. As I pointed out earlier, to achieve this, you need to add a hook (that's what the example I just provided is called). The CSS I mentioned earlier simply makes sure of the spacing of each icon you create/add in the hook, making sure they don't overlap or cancel each other out. It would set the spacing for each icon, as well as the alignment vertically or horizontally. If you use the standard RSS icon and use a graphics editor, you can make it clear the icon is language specific... a small box in the corner saying (ru) or (en)... Then your visitors will know what they're clicking.

[Deleted User]
rangelone, thanks for your suggestion, now I understand what you're talking about. But I wouldn't like to have three RSS icons in there, one is enough ??“ so I'm just looking for a solution to make it language-specific, when a user is already using a site in their language. and you can't achieve this via the hook + CSS, can you?

Rob
That's going to take some serious programming. Specifically, you need the site to detect the browser language and load a template for that language. I'm sure there are some language detection plugins that will detect the browser's language [b]BUT[/b] you're not talking about the site's language - only the RSS feed. I've never seen anything actually detect that principally because the RSS is actually outside the theme. Theoretically, it's even outside the Wordpress functions. My best guess to answer your question is going to be no. I'm sorry. However, my original suggestion I still think remains valid. If you have the RSS feed already delivering in the languages, a simple icon should be no problem. I looked for something on Google that talks about custom RSS detection: http://www.trixya.net/index.php/internet/how-web-browsers-detect-rss-feeds-to-display-icon-in-url-bar This is rather old: http://climbtothestars.org/archives/2007/12/28/browser-language-detection-and-redirection/ This may help: http://wpml.org/

[Deleted User]
Ok, one more time: my feeds actually display correctly in each language. I just need to forward them to Google Feedburner ??“ i.e. change the link of an RSS icon (that is being automatically assigned in this theme I guess)

catrina
You can replace the link by using a hook. Hook implementation is explained here: http://www.pagelines.com/docs/base-child-theme

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

[Deleted User]
Can you please point me to a correct hook? I can't figure out which one to use.. :-S

catrina
You will need the pagelines_branding_icons_start hook (this one isn't listed in Template Setup but it is in the template).

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

Simon
There is already a filter to change the rss url 'pagelines_branding_rssurl'

[Deleted User]
Thank you so much for looking into this issue. I am trying to set up the hook. As I am not too familiar with coding, I am still struggling .... Can you please be more specific, and assist me with creating a hook/filter? for changing the link of the RSS feed icon in each language.. [code]add_action('pagelines_branding_icons_start', 'pagelines_branding_rssurl');[/code] am I on the right path? :-?

Rob
You may want to hire one of our pros by visiting http://www.pagelines.com/pros as this customization is outside the normal scope of forum support. I'm sure they'd be able to help you with this.

[Deleted User]
I got it working. And the solution was real easy: Simple 301 Redirects. Thanks everybody for suggestions!

Rob
Glad you found the right solution.