Sign in to follow this  
efschilling

Extending sidebar from very top to very bottom of site?

efschilling

Is there a way to extend the sidebar (say a right hand sidebar) from the very top of the page to the very botton of the page so that the heading is shorter than ususal on the right side? Take a look at this page: http://www.rmg-boston.com. I've achieved what I want but at too high a cost. I deleted out the header and started the top of the site from the top of a page. I've put the header in as url at the top of a page and now I can't use banners, carousel, etc. Any easy way to do this? Thanks!

catrina
The sidebar's height can be increased using CSS. Does that mean you want the footer at the bottom to be the same width as the main content area on the left?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

efschilling
Thanks for responding. Don't know if you've seen the site. It's http://www.rmg-boston.com. The answer about the footer is yes. The same goes for the header. I currently have the Main content area at 888 pixels. I'd like the main content area, the header and the footer to be 888 pixels wide and the right side bar to extend from the top to the bottom of the screen and being 324 pixels wide.

Kate
You could just a negative margin to pull the sidebar up into the header. However, (and I'm just thinking out loud here), you'd have to move the footer div in order to get it to display next to the sidebar. Unless you have a set height for the footer... you might be able to do some manipulation that way.

efschilling
Hi, here's the site again. http://www.rmg-boston.com. I've changed it now so I can have the header/menu etc. And the ads are now NOT extending to the very top of the page. The client wants the ads to extend to the very top of the page. I'm not sure how to do this. We want: 1. sidebar to go to the tippy top. 2. the side bar to go to the very bottom. Not sure what a negative margin is. Not sure how to move the footer div.

Rob
I think this would result in ruining the site. The footer is not intended to be created within the content area. However you could always add some kind of footer into a function or by editing the applicable template file obtained from platformpro folder and copied to platformbase, then edited. However, other factors are going to get in the way, ranging from the branding area to the navigation, boxes, soapboxes or any custom post type that goes full width. Remember, the design of one page may not work on other pages. While I can completely sympathize that your client wants something, occasionally clients need to be advised that they cannot achieve the impossible. I've not seen any single WP theme that allows the sidebar to go top to bottom.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

efschilling
So is it possible to have the right sidebar go to the very top of the site but keep the footer at the bottom?

highreach
@efshilling, Did you ever get an answer for this?