Sign in to follow this  
bimijane

Where is the correct place to paste "back to top" link html code?

bimijane

Hi, I would like to have a "Back To Top" link at the bottom of each post and page for user convenience and would like to confirm that I am placing the code in the correct places: CODE: In my old theme this was placed in HTML Inserts:Header. In PlatformPro would I place this in Custom Code>Header Scripts>Header Scripts Code? CODE: Back to Top??¦ In my old theme this was placed in EDIT CENTER COLUMN>Content BELOW the LOOP. Where do I paste this code in Platform Pro? Many thanks, Jane

catrina
In order to make edits to any files, you will need the child theme, PlatformBase, installed and activated first. To download it, go to your LaunchPad account at http://pagelines.com/launchpad and download the zip file for the theme. Once you've done that, unzip the file and add the theme folder to wp-content > themes in your WordPress directory. For more detailed instructions, please see here: http://www.pagelines.com/docs/theme-installation. Once PlatformBase is installed, you can add the "Back to Top" link using a hook (which can be explained later).

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

bimijane
Hi Catrina, Thank you for your prompt reply. I have PlatformBase 1.4.1 activated and PlatformPro 1.5.3 present in my WordPress themes. I have seen hooks in the template area, but confess I don't understand them. Many thanks, Jane

catrina
There is a helpful video tutorial on hooks and how to implement them: http://www.pagelines.com/docs/base-child-theme

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

bimijane
Hi Catrina, Thank you. I watched the video, read 3 articles and the wordpress codex on action and filter hooks and while I gleaned a basic understanding of hooks, I am not a programmer and do not know how to create a function, add an action and put the function in a file and activate it. I looked through the hooks in the PlatformPro Settings and don't see anything on adding a "back to top" link. How do I proceed? Many thanks, Jane

catrina
You'll need to add the "Back Top" link in the hook itself. The placement of the link depends on which hook you'll need, so you will need to figure out where you want it (i.e. directly below the post content or below the comment form if there is one) and from the list of hooks available in PlatformPro > Template Settings > Single Post Page template > Advanced Setup, you can select the hook for that specific area of the post page.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

bimijane
I want it at the bottom of each post above the comment form. Do I use: pagelines_inside_bottom_maincontent OR pagelines_after_maincontent thanks, jane

Jenny
I'm not sure which one you would use since I'm not familiar enough with the hooks, but you could try one and if you don't like the position, then try the other one. :) OR... you could just try using one of the several "to the top" plugins available at http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/search.php?q=back+to+top&sort=.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.