Sign in to follow this  
sylvaticus

Hierarchical (Indented) Links (Blogroll)

sylvaticus

Here's another issue I haven't been able to figure out: 1. Though I think I want to keep the word as "Links," is there a way to change it to something else? 2. I would like the links I add to be slightly indented from the Category heading, like this: LINKS Friends Lee Tom News CNN BBC Design B&A ...etc. Is there a way to do this I haven't found? I added a "Friends" category, but the word "Friends" does not appear under LINKS. Also, when I created the new link and added it under the Friends

sylvaticus

drat! the format didn't take. when you see the main categories, think of the sublinks as indented by two spaces.

Andrew
1. Though I think I want to keep the word as "Links," is there a way to change it to something else?
Yes, in the links panel in the admin.
Is there a way to do this I haven't found?
Since dealing w/ links is a common WP function. I would look around for cool plugins that help you accomplish what you're trying to do. Hope that helps:)

kdvorak

I know I'm about to embarrass myself (again) but, from the Admin page, the panels on the right, I've licked: Links --Edit --Add New --Link Categories Nowhere can I find someplace to change the word "Links" to something else. And...I could swear I saw it at one point somewhere, but now I can't find it. I've tried clicking everything on the right I can think of (Pages, Appearance, Plugins, Tools, Settings). What am I missing? I'm sure it must be there! ++++++++++++++++ Re the plugin, do you have a recommendation that you like? I just sent an email to a friend asking his preferences. Or, since you're a developer, do you do it someplace in the code? If I open the site with Dreamweaver CS5's new WP abilities, is there some sort of CSS file to edit? Still hoping for a plugin, but, I should probably learn this stuff. :-) Thanks, Andrew, and thanks for the SP3 template! Can't wait to start working with it! Keith

Fabricando fabri fimus.

bryan-hadaway

No need to feel embarrassed, we can't just magically know the unknown. From your WordPress admin, navigate to: Appearance > Editor > _defaultsidebar.php find this line: `

<?php _e('Links',TDOMAIN); ?>

` and change Links to whatever you want. Thanks, Bryan

kdvorak

Thanks, Brian. If I can re-ask: In my initial post, I wanted the link categories to be headers for the links, but that doesn't appear to be happening. The categories don't appear at all. Is Andrew's response to find a good plugin something that will take care of that too, or is that something controlled by the template? That is, I suspect the template isn't showing the categories, but if I get a plugin, will the template somehow block what I want to do: show categories with the sublinks indented below them? Thanks again! Keith

Fabricando fabri fimus.

cmunns

What you can do is create new links under the LINKS panel. Then just create different categories for links. THen you can insert multiple link widgets each showing only a specific category. Does that help?

bryan-hadaway

Unfortunately, we've lost sight of your goal, sometimes we need more help to help you. If you don't mind could you kindly try and re-explain your exact goal. Thanks, Bryan

kdvorak

Thank you, Adam and Bryan, Adam, I'm not sure I understand. Are you suggesting I go to the Appearances panel and click Widgets, then drag over a links Widget for each category? That seems a bit ??? inelegant ??? and I'm not sure how to show one category per link widget. Bryan, sorry! My question deals with the blogroll. At the moment, it's all one big list, with no differentiation between categories (though I suspect it alphabetizes the individual links by category). I tried to format a list in my original post but lost the formatting. Let me try again. I want the individual links to appear indented beneath the category, which would act like a header. (Pretend the *s are spaces.) So: Technology **Apple **Daring Fireball **MacWorld Friends **LeAnne **Thomas **Jake Politics **CNN **Fox **Real Clear Politics You get the idea, I think. At the moment, the template shows only the links and the categories don't appear. I'm not certain if the template code will block a link management widget per Andrew's suggestion above. Presumably not, or he wouldn't have suggested it? :-) I hope I was clearer this time. Apologies if I didn't explain myself well! Hope you're both having a great weekend! Keith

Fabricando fabri fimus.

cmunns

Yeah there is probably a plug-in that would best serve you. It would be easier to get it the way you want. The way I was suggesting would not allow you to put all the links in the same widget itself.

kdvorak

thanks, cmunns. fingers crossed on finding one. i've searched a few times on the wordpress site, but there actually doesn't appear to be one, unless the descriptions are just poorly written.

Fabricando fabri fimus.

cmunns

You could try using the new WordPress menu in v. 3.0 too. Not sure if that would help, but I'm thinking create a custom menu and have the titles just be custom links with the no href?