Sign in to follow this  
lrenee

Just purchased PageLines, and I am NOT a developer! Help?!?!?

Sourena
You need to describe what the problem is and provide us with a link to the site.

alefba.us

Web Development & Design for Right-to-Left languages

lrenee
Thanks for responding Sourenaa. I am creating a brand new site and I am totally lost! I have downloaded WordPress and both of the PageLine platforms but have no idea what to do next. I don't know a thing about coding; this is my first time attempting to build a site. Is there a step by step tutorial avail for beginners?

Rob
Have you read the docs? http://www.pagelines.com/docs

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Rob
You should not need to code. Once you've logged into Wordpress (the Dashboard), go down to "Appearance" on the left side. Click it and when it drops open, click on Themes. You'll see both PlatformPro and PlatformBase. Click on "Activate" under PlatformBase.

Rob
A new menu item will appear in the Dashboard on the left called "PlatformPro". Click it.

Rob
A settings panel will open up. For each settings tab you will see information, links to documentation and guidance.

Rob
When you need additional info, we're here.

lrenee
Rats! The only options avail in the Appearance menu are: Random | A-Z | Popular | Newest | Premium | Friends of WP.com. I cannot find the option for "PlatformPro".

catrina
Where are you? Are you on your WordPress admin/Dashboard? EDIT What's the website URL you are at right now?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

lrenee
http://lrenee.wordpress.com/wp-admin/themes.php?order=recent

catrina
PageLines products cannot be used on WordPress[b].com[/b] blogs. You can only use them on self-hosted WordPress (available from WordPress[b].org[/b]) on a domain with purchased web space. WordPress.com is a service that is just like Blogger in that the blog content is hosted on WordPress.com itself and there isn't as much flexibility when it comes to design and aesthetics. On the other hand, WordPress.org is where you get the blogging software that you can install on a domain with web hosting. Does that make sense? You'll need to purchase a domain and web space from a hosting provider (like Blue Host, for example) in order to install and use the PageLines themes. *Please refer to Robert's response below.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

Rob
Irenee, You do not have your own domain. That's Wordpress.com and our products cannot be used there. You need to register your own domain name, and pay for a hosting company to host the site. This may be more complicated than you can handle until you've researched this a bit more. I'd suggest you write to hello@pagelines.com and say I suggested you write. Please include the information from your Paypal purchase (date, transaction number, amount, and your name/address).

lrenee
Thanks for your feedback everyone; you all have been a great help!

lrenee
I've selected Blue Host and I'm ready to proceed; help...

Rob
Did you create a domain for them to host? Is Wordpress installed on the site?

Rob
Do you have an FTP client? If you do, you'll need to FTP into your website. Make sure on your local computer you have two folders that are easily accessible. These should be platformpro and platformbase, each spelled just that way - all lower case. Navigate via FTP to your WordPress installation to wp-content/themes/ and upload both folders so you will see them present after the transfer is complete. Login to your WordPress installation as admin and go to Dashboard > Appearance > Themes. You will see PlatformBase v. 1.4.1. Activate that. You will see PlatformPro appear on the Dashboard menu on the left. Click it. This will open the PlatformPro Settings where you can start building your website. Let me know when you get this far.