Sign in to follow this  
nfp1900

Title above boxes with sidebar integration

nfp1900

I have been working on this site www.uloconsultants.com but the client has asked for the boxes to be like the original specification which was dreamt up by a designer. I have used CSS in the past to get the box titles to sit underneath but I can't get it to work in the way it's shown on the image of the proposed site I've posted here www.uloconsultants.com/test Would it be possible to create the blue line as a type of hover/rollover for the title as well? If this is a real pain then I might be able to ditch that. Secondly, (and apologies for sneaking this in) I had a real dig around on the site about the boxes/sidebar issue. The last posting mentioned it was coming in the next version. But for the time being, is there a simple way of having the 5 boxes with the news ticker shown on the homepage to somehow be on the left? They dont like how the site extends. Thanks as ever for any help.

kastelic
If you go to edit your page, go to Pagelines Meta Settings -> Boxes Section -> Box Thumb Position and select Image at Top. If you homepage is not a static page, make a page called "home" and set it as your home page in Settings ->Reading.

nfp1900
I'm looking for the title to sit above the box image as shown in the sample homepage http://www.uloconsultants.com/test, not the other way round. Thx

Rob
At present, it's not possible to have the sidebar next to boxes, and the boxes you're proposing cannot be created so easily. However, there's a solution. It's not easy, but it's do-able. As Kastelic suggested, you need a static homepage with sidebar. In the main content area, you will need a table that is individually styled - in other words, the table styling is not in a stylesheet, but in each segment of the table. (See the sourcecode at www.epicurus.com for an example. ) Your box should contain three rows. The top of it should have the background color you seek. The second row the titles, linked and specifically styled. Third, your images. When someone mouses over the title, the cell above it will change height so you get a thicker color bar as indicated in your graphic. If you need help with some sources for styling the

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

nfp1900
Hi RL I used some CSS to get the titles to sit below the image. So if we drop the idea of having this solid roll-over line and just the title do you know what I need to achieve that? This is the CSS I have for the title under a box with a 1px border. Could this be adjusted to nudge the title to the top? .fboxinfo {clear:left} .fboxgraphic { display: block; background: #eaeaea; padding: 3px; border: solid 1px #d6d6d6; } .fboxgraphic {border:1px solid #b0a9b0;} .fboxgraphic { float: left; height: 132px; padding-right: 3px !important; padding-top: 3px !important;} Thx

Danny
Hi nfp1900, To get the boxes the way you want them, would be rather painful to be honest, wouldn't it be easier to simply use HTML in the static pages html tab in the page editor? That way you could get the your text on top on an image and have the sidebar aligned ?

Please search our forums, before posting!

nfp1900
Hi There must be a simple way with CSS to manipulate the text position with boxes. If I could achieve the title that I need above the boxes with a way of adding a bit of extra padding then that would be great and get some way to solving this before the 2.0 release. Thanks Nick

kastelic
Okay this isn't the best use of CSS but here ya go, the quick and dirty solution: [code] .fboxinfo{ position:relative; top:-128px; } .fbox { margin-top:15px; } [/code]

nfp1900
Thanks for the code but it didn't seem to have any effect! I have located a plugin called boxer - this will allow me to add a shortcode with boxes in the content area which should be an easy fix. However, the platform theme isn't letting me choose a feature image as part of this plugin. This is the suggestion from the developer posted on the site but where do I change the array in the platform files? I don't want to screw anything up (too much): Why can I not select a feature image? Seems you are using a theme that has explicitly set a post-type array as a second argument if ( function_exists( 'add_theme_support' ) ) { add_theme_support( 'post-thumbnails', array('post', 'page') ); } Remove the array like so: if ( function_exists( 'add_theme_support' ) ) { add_theme_support( 'post-thumbnails' ); }

Rob
That array is intended to place thumbnails in custom post types, such as boxes and soapboxes. Removing it as the plugin author suggests will result in your inability to add thumbnails to those post types. You should simply add an array specific to his plugin, without removing that one.

Rob
I just tested Boxer plugin on my site. It worked without any problem adding a Feature image. Please go to the top of your editing page for the box you wish to create. Click "Screen Options" and make sure Feature Image is checked.

nfp1900
I couldn't see that option under screen options - it should appear under the box sets option and then bring up the WP media upload dialogue box. However, when you come to use the shortcode in a page the title appears but no image. Anyway, I fixed this issue by using the visual composer plugin - at least the page now aligns to the sidebar. And with version 2 I understand that we won't even be having this discussion... Thanks for all the input.

Danny
Thanks for letting us know @nfp1900 and the plugin Visual Composer is a great little plugin.

Please search our forums, before posting!

ferdmaster
[quote][i]"I just tested Boxer plugin on my site. It worked without any problem adding a Feature image. Please go to the top of your editing page for the box you wish to create. Click "Screen Options" and make sure Feature Image is checked."[/i] [/quote] I am having the same problem as nfp1900, I have no option to add a feature image (I am using PlatformPro). I checked out the Visual Composer Plugin and it looks AMAZING, but I don't really need it right now. I just want to have my (soap-)boxes aligned with a sidebar which is why I tried the boxer plugin. It is useless though without the featured image. What can I do? Or maybe I missed something over the last months, is there a way to align boxes/features etc. with sidebars? my site is www.ngojobs.at Thanks!

Rob
I have Boxer loaded in PlatformPro and PageLines Framework and have no problem when creating a box to add a feature image. It's right there, in the sidebar where it belongs. Please remember you can add a feature image to a Boxer box using the little graphics icon located above the editing tools. Here's what I see: [img]http://www.epicurus.com/members/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/boxes-images.png[/img] To get the feature image option in the sidebar, I checked the box for Featured Image. Even without this, the option above the edit box will also allow you to upload an image and apply it as the featured image. (an option next to the save button - use that to save). See the screen options here: [img]http://www.epicurus.com/members/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/screen-options.png[/img]

ferdmaster
hi rangelone, I'm afraid that's exactly the option which I don't have and I'm pretty sure that was nfp1900's problem too (see screenshot): [img]http://www.ngojobs.at/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Bildschirmfoto-2012-04-08-um-23.48.14.png[/img] If I use the image uploader above the edit box I also don't have the option to insert it as featured image.(sorry, no screenshot for that, you will just have to believe me :-)).

Rob
While I do believe you, I'm just surprised because the features option in the image upload function is a WordPress default and has nothing whatsoever to do with PageLines. The thing I can suggest is to write the Boxer plugin author and show him a link to this topic, letting him see the screenshots. I apologize but I don't see how PageLines is causing this. As you can see from my screenshots, it's working fine for me. One suggestion... switch your theme to Twenty Ten or Twenty Eleven (which are WP default themes) and see if the same conditions exist when you try to edit a box. Please let me know the answer. This might be caused by a plugin conflict. I'm just unsure which plugin might be causing it, if any.

ferdmaster
But isn't that the reason why the author has this question mentioned in his FAQ as discussed above? Anyway, I don't really understand any of this this php-stuff. Since my site is live and online I can't really switch to another theme. I'll maybe just buy the Visual composer plugin as nfp1900 has suggested. [b]But another question: Is the issue of boxes/features not being aligned with sidebars solved with Pagelines framework!?[/b] I haven't upgraded yet, but this would definitely be a reason for me to consider upgrading.

Rob
Yes. In PageLines Framework, you may apply boxes and sliders inside the page content area, so that sidebars are at the side of either. I'll write the plugin author and ask about this. I'm pretty sure you have an older plugin causing a conflict somewhere. To answer your question about the FAQ, this makes me wonder how it can work in PlatformPro on my sites but not work in PlatformPro in others. The code we use is the same. I hope that we can find a solution quickly.

ferdmaster
Thanks for your effort rangelone!

Rob
I just wrote to him and hope he'll reply to me quickly. He does maintain the product well, so I'm sure he'll be responsive and timely.

Rob
Received two emails from the plugin author this morning. He writes that it's likely a plugin conflict but, he's also pushing an update, Boxer 1.2, to fix this problem. So before anyone spends money unnecessarily, I'd suggest trying the update. I have to say he responded really fast and with a very supportive, helpful manner. With great plugins, you usually get great support.

ferdmaster
Thanks rangelone, that's great news. I should probably write him as well since the boxes don't seem to be working at all. They aren't lined up although I have the settings at one_half and one_half_last and the box index at 1 and 2. took me hours yesterday but no results :-( http://www.ngojobs.at/testseite5

Jenny
You should definitely contact him about the plugin since the author knows much more about his product than we do. :)

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.