Sign in to follow this  
warrenneedham

Horizontal Navigation of content area

warrenneedham

I would like to find out if there is a way to display the content area horizontally as I have set it up (especially under the D?©cor Pages where the image strips are long) without the logo and navigation moving? www.atlasred.co.za

catrina
I think that single image is so large that it's stretching the site, so the logo and navigation areas get stretch along with it. Can you try making the image smaller (perhaps 960px wide)?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

warrenneedham
We want the image to stretch wide so that the page navigates horizontally (works very well on ipad, etc), but ideally the content area would navigate independently of the logo/navigation. Is this possible?

catrina
On an 11-inch MacBook the page stretches too wide (causing a bottom scrollbar), but we can leave it alone if you prefer. To decrease the navigation's width, please add this to Custom Code > Custom CSS: [code]div#header {width: 700px; margin: 0 auto;}[/code]

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

warrenneedham
Thanks for the suggestion, but on some pages the images can be up to 3500 pixels wide. I would like the "content area" to scroll left to right, but the logo and navigation at the top to remain constant. Is this possible?

catrina
The header will stretch because of the page structure, but you can try adding this to keep the branding + navigation a smaller width: [code]div#branding, div#primary-nav {width: 700px; margin: 0 auto;}[/code]

Designer | Catrina Dulay

warrenneedham
This does not achieve what i need unfortunately. What i require is the body to scroll independently of the navigation area. I have seen this on many sites, just not sure how they achieve it. Take a look at http://andjelka.com/fashion/ for an example

catrina
Ah, the area needs to be fixed then so it won't scroll. Try: [code]div#header {width: 700px; margin: 0 auto; position: fixed;}[/code]

Designer | Catrina Dulay

warrenneedham
Genius! We have a winner. Any way to add 10 pixels before the header and prevent it from now having the body overlap underneath the navigation?

catrina
Please replace the code I just gave you with this: [code]div#header {width: 700px; margin: 0 auto; position: fixed; margin-bottom: 20px;}[/code] You may adjust the 20px value until the amount of spacing you want is just right.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

warrenneedham
Doesn't work unfortunately.

catrina
Add this instead: [code]div#header {width: 700px; margin: 0 auto; position: fixed;} div#column-wrap {margin-top: 45px;}[/code]

Designer | Catrina Dulay

warrenneedham
Legend! Thanks so much!