Sign in to follow this  
ilonka65

Adding Plugins to Widgets

ilonka65

Hello I have downloaded a plugin which is actually a widget for a "call to action" Its on the far rhs of the page: http://byronbaysmashrepairs.com.au/test/ In the installation instructions, it says I need to add it to the .php file for Wordpress, does that mean I show just put the code in the 'Custom Code section instead? Plugin instructions for Wordpress can be found here: http://www.designchemical.com/blog/index.php/wordpress-tips/wordpress-tutorial-adding-a-widget-area-to-your-theme-files/

ilonka65
If you know of a better alternative to this widget I am open to suggestions!

ilonka65
One more thing... I would like the image & caption I have of "Byron Bay Smash Repairs to sit on rhs of map (with "call to action" widget but I guess that's not possible?

catrina
This tutorial is for adding a custom widget. Where do you want this widget to reside? Have you already tried adding a custom widget using Appearance > Widgets by putting one in a sidebar? As for adding the custom widget, Custom Code is only for adding CSS or scripts that belong in the header or footer. The instructions are directing you to edit the functions.php file (found in Appearance > Editor). You must have PlatformBase (the child theme for PlatformPro) in order to change the correct functions.php file. Is it already activated? For the image and caption, do you want this place inside the widget you're trying to create?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

ilonka65
Hi Catrina I have placed the widget in the primary sidebar and instead its floating outside of the page (as far out as it can go). Yes, I have the child theme activated. Yes, I would like to make the image & caption part of the 'call to action' widget if that's possible (or at least have it looking like one entity)

Jenny
You will honestly be better off activating and use the morefoot area and placing the map and image in morefoot left and more foot right. That's much easier than adding a bunch of code to theme files. :)

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

ilonka65
Hello simple_mama That was a great idea, thank you! Can you tell me where to access the text "Visit our friends!" and the default menu underneath? I would like to put a captioned image in this area (Morefoot Middle) http://byronbaysmashrepairs.com.au/test/

Jenny
Glad I could help! :) It is most likely a default widget displaying when you haven't specified anything. Just add a text widget (with the content of your choice) to Morefoot Middle.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

ilonka65
Hello simple_mama Thanks once again...you solved it! ;)