Sign in to follow this  
bizint

Carousel - any way to make it constant loop?

catrina
There is no constant loop setting for the Carousel, but there may be a way to do it by setting "loop" to "true" in a carousel file (as long as it's done properly in the child theme).

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

bizint
oo err....sounds simple...but any hints on where to start with this one?...changing a php file or summat in the editor?

kastelic
This has been answered here: http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/3942/carousel-auto-rotation/p1

bizint
Woah....I also put the above php into the section using text wrangler a ftp access into the platform pro theme (you cant put it into base right)...and the whole website broke down...have returned to previous php file and it is working again....gulp...any ideas?

Rob
Forgive this if it's a dumb question, but in which location in your site is this section.carousel.php? If you download the clean copy from wp-content/themes/platformpro, then make your edits, you should be uploading that edited version to wp-content/themes/platformbase, provided that PlatformBase is activated (which it should be).

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

bizint
Not dumb at all it seems! Well platform base is activated....to edit platform pro?.... I found the section.carousel.php file and changed it where it was(pretty sure that was platformpro)....I wasnt uploading it to platform base....confused...where would I put it in platform base? From memory I could only find section.carousel.php in one place (it was platformpro) so made change there...I thought platform base just edited platform pro from "afar" somehow. When I changed it in pro...everything broke down, so it was implying the two themes are linked somehow. Interestingly, in editor as well in the wordpress admin...I can only see a handful of php files to edit their...I had to use fielzilla to hunt down the section.carousel.php and use textwrangler to edit...can it be edited through the wordpress admin editor section which would be easier?

Danny
Hi Bizint, When making edits to core files, section files ect. It's recommend to use the Platform Base child theme, the reason for this is, if there is an update available for Platform Pro and you have made changes to the code, these changes will be overwritten when updated. However, using the child theme, this will not be the case. Once you have made the changes, upload the file to your Platform Base, sections folder. I would always recommend editing files like section.carousel.php in an FTP client, reason for this is, if you destroy your site with incorrect code (I do this often), you can simply undo your mistake and your site will be back to normal. Using the Wordpress editor, if you make a mistake, destroying your site you will have to upload a clean copy of that file again.

Please search our forums, before posting!

bizint
Thanks Danny, makes sense....so I download the section.carousel.php from platform pro....make the changes as outlined....then past them.... ?§

catrina
You paste section.carousel.php into the platformbase folder and then edit the file from there.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

bizint
I have taken the section.carousel.php file into platform base and placed it in the section folder...then edited like I've been told...and nothing happens...the same goes for another one I'm doing in another thread...nothing at all! Help! Never seen a php work!

bizint
www.businessinteriors.co.uk/portfolio/ work work work!

bizint
It's doesn't say. I have the platform pro and platform base framework....I haven't upgraded to the latest greatest because I'm not sure I need it? In my downloads it's not clear what version it is, but have latest Wordpress and I reckon the second to most latest framework....?

catrina
I assume you have PlatformPro 1.5.3 and the latest version of PlatformBase. PlatformBase is already activated, yes?

Designer | Catrina Dulay

bizint
Yes platform base activated 1.4.1 and Platform pro is 1.5.3

kastelic
To override a section template, there are directions here: http://www.pagelines.com/docs/custom-sections (scroll to the bottom) Basically you make a new file called template.carousel.php and then you open section.carousel.php and paste everything INSIDE the function section_template() into your new file, which is then uploaded to base. Which, depending on your version should look something like this: [code]
    ID)) ? pagelines_option('carousel_mode', $post->ID): null; if(function_exists('nggDisplayRandomImages') && $cmode == 'ngen_gallery'): $ngen_id = (pagelines_option('carousel_ngen_gallery', $pagelines_ID)) ? pagelines_option('carousel_ngen_gallery', $pagelines_ID) : 1; echo do_shortcode('[nggallery id='.$ngen_id.' template=plcarousel]'); elseif(function_exists('get_flickrRSS') && $cmode == 'flickr'): if(!function_exists('get_and_delete_option')): // fixes instantiation within the function in the plugin :/ get_flickrRSS( array( 'num_items' => $carouselitems, 'html' => '
  • %title%%title%
  • ' )); endif; elseif($cmode == 'hook'): pagelines_register_hook('pagelines_carousel_list'); elseif( ($cmode == 'flickr' && !function_exists('get_flickrRSS')) || ($cmode == 'ngen_gallery' && !function_exists('nggDisplayRandomImages'))): printf('', __("The plugin for the selected carousel mode (NextGen-Gallery or FlickrRSS) needs to be installed and activated.", 'pagelines')); else: $carousel_post_query = 'numberposts='.$carouselitems; if($carousel_post_id) $carousel_post_query .= '&category_name='.$carousel_post_id; $recentposts = get_posts($carousel_post_query); foreach($recentposts as $cid => $c): ?>
  • ID)): echo get_the_post_thumbnail( $c->ID, array( $carousel_image_width, $carousel_image_height ),array( 'class' => 'list_thumb list-thumb' )); ?> post_title; ?>
[/code]

bizint
Man this really isnt clear -this is my understanding so far: 1) Platform base is a buffer layer to assist changing platform pro without srewing it up. Changes directly in platformpro will disappear on updates so changes should be put in platform base to make them stick. 2) So to change the carousel (which does it thing further to instruction from the php file section.carousel.php) we have to edit the php file section.carousel.php that sits in the platform pro theme under: wp-content>themes>platformpro>sections>carousel>section.carousel.php 3) Now we could just change the php directly here to make it work - but then updates would screw it up - so we need to download this file, say to desktop - then edit the file in a text editor - say text wrangler - then upload it another location in the platform base theme - so the changes stick. 4) So taking the amended section.carousel.php file we upload it to: wp-content>platformbase>sections>section.carousel.php We now assume that the platform base section.carousel.php will override the platform pro section.carousel.php file and everyone lives happily ever after. Now I've got this perfectly changed section.carousel.php file sitting in the section area of platformbase...but nothing happens... I really have read everyones posts thoroughly and watched the videos and everything. I am willing to admit I am really really stupid - but I've built a pretty good website, so I must be at the minimum required level of intelligence to get this... I'm determined to get this done now! Thanks!

catrina
The steps you explained were all accurate. I'm not certain why the PHP file isn't working as it should. I'm going to mark this for developer attention so you can get more insight.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Rob
Bizint, It may be best to engage one of our pros for this. Making the carousel continuous has always been one of the bigger challenges even to the best developers as it's a little complicated. I would urge you to write to hello@pagelines.com and ask for some "under the hood" help for this and I'm sure you'll get a reply soon.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur