Sign in to follow this  
rweiss

Certain category pages are pushing the sidebar below the content

rweiss

I have a select group of category pages (listing post excerpts) that push the sidebar down below the content. I am not sure what could possibly be different about these pages. There are many category pages, all set to display the same way (one sidebar right column). Can't figure out why this particular group would display differently. It is only in one main category, but not all of the sub-categories in that category. To see what I mean look at this page: http://65.39.222.91/category/printables/alphabet-handwriting/alphabet-letters-a-m/letter-d-alphabet-handwriting/

rweiss
If it will help someone to help me, I am seeing that these pages are not utilizing the dynamic style: .one-sidebar-right #pagelines_content #sidebar-wrap, .one-sidebar-right #buddypress-page #sidebar-wrap { width: 252px; } The question is, why? These are blog post excerpt pages by category, just like all the rest of them that work. I can't figure out what would have been set for these that keeps them from following the settings in the Platform Pro dashboard area.

Jenny
Is anything different about either of those posts pages? What I have noticed is the difference in the layout is the pagination. On the incorrect page, the pagination is showing within the column-main div but on the page that is correct, it is showing in the mcolumn-pad div. In addition, as you said above, the sidebar-wrap div width is not passing through to that page. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the extreme depth of your categories. Let us know what, if anything, is different between the categories.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

rweiss
I thought about the depth of the categories too - which was my first thought as to the issue. But there is another set of pages with the same depth - and they display just fine. What would cause the pagination to show in a different place? Not even sure that anyone even set that. Not really a manual operation, to my knowledge.

Jenny
The pagination would appear in your Template Setup. Check the "Posts Pages" active sections.

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

rweiss
Not sure what I am looking for. The Template Setup would be the same for all the Posts Pages, and I don't see anything about Pagination in this area. The three sections I have made active in the Posts Pages is the Full width sidebar, the PageLines Boxes and the Content Area.

Jenny
You have a div tag being closed prematurely in the last post that displays before the problem happens (which is the Bubble Letter D post at http://65.39.222.91/2010/02/01/bubble-letter-d/). This is probably not something that you did specifically but more so caused by the Audio Clip. It merges the clip and the read more together, hence the "[Audio clip: view full post [...]" You will need to move the audio clip somewhere else so the excerpt doesn't end there, or create the post excerpt manually for that post.

rweiss
OKay - you were real close. I did manual excerpts for a couple of places where the audio short code was being interrupted, and that didn't fix the problem. BUt that led me to re-work the way excerpts were being displayed, and installed the auto excerpt plugin. That stopped the issue. So it may not have been just the audio short codes. I think it was a number of situations where the excerpts (summaries, actually) were too full of code. Thanks for getting me on the right path.

Jenny
Glad to have helped! You had me stumped. :)