kev2719

Pagelines 2.0

kev2719

I am confused. I am a pro+ developer of the page lines platform and I am getting emails regarding upgrade fees for launch of version 2.0 Would someone please advise me correctly if I am required to pay AGAIN for yet another version when my monthly fee was I understood to make me future proof. Please advise. Thanks. Kevin

Andrew
No worries! If you are on +Plus than you're getting the 2.0 release free; and an early Christmas present!

iconicimagery
Wondering pretty much the same thing myself... My membership information specifically states "PlatformPro Developer 11/26/2010 LIFETIME" - my understanding was that paying at full price a year ago meant that upgrades would come at no further cost to me. Clarification welcome please. Thank you. Lisa

*fistbump & 2 snaps in a circle*

Pagelines 300

shaunareid
Same query as Lisa here. Thanks in advance!

Andrew
Hey Lisa, To support ongoing development of 'major' releases like 2.0 we have to charge an upgrade price. In other words, we need follow the standard software model. The 'lifetime' you see in your product comes from a setting in aMember where we select 'lifetime' to say that your download link to PlatformPro Dev 1.X will never expire. And you will always get maintenance releases related to that. PageLines Framework 2.0 will be a completely new product in the system.

iconicimagery
Thank you, I'm trying to access the Prelaunch deal and have been getting the following error for quite a while.... "Script Error Cannot connect to MySQL: User arpowers_main already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections "

Pagelines 300

Simon
Strange, we didn't notice any downtime.

rtysmith
I had developer version, and upgraded to developer version, was that necessary? Also, with the download link added to my account, is the beta or the current version? Any way to get the beta?

iconicimagery
thank you, it's working now. Taken out a full Pro+ Membership.

Pagelines 300

mnix
Is it just a new name? The email sort of reads that way, but you mention somewhere on the forums you've been beta testing for awhile. Can you post some of the new features or do we have to wait?

djb21au
It's all very nice to have a discount offer for pre-purchase of V2.0, but how can we find about a bit more about what we're buying? I'm reticent to upgrade if I don't know what I'll be getting for the money, and it seems that to find that out I have to wait until the upgrade has happened, and can no longer buy at the discounted price. Am I missing something: are there details of 2.0 somewhere?

ingame1
Hi, there's something wrong in your business model; I bought Platform Pro in February, 2011, and I was supposed to get free updates(updates, not only maintenance) for the following 12 months; now, after updates in recent months have been inexistent, I have to pay again cause you changed the product name, mmm... Do not to mention there's not a preview around about new features, even if the product has been tested for a while now; do people have to pay(again) a pig in a poke? Marco

xeroboundaries
I'm in the same boat as Marco and the poster before him. Where can we find more info about PageLines 2.0?? I have been very happy with the PageLines team until this move. Please consider revising your choice of language in the future in regards to branding your products. I also purchased in February 2011 and changing the product's name shouldn't exempt you from honoring your upgrade policy. Lexus is owned by Toyota. If they decide to merge the Lexus and Toyota brand names, do you think Lexus is exempt from honoring their cars' warranties? I don't think so! That's regardless of whether or not "the two brands were confusing to people."

Andrew
The upgrade cost has nothing to do with us changing the name of the product. We've never done "free" updates for major releases. Since iBlogPro1 moved to iBlogPro2 we've followed the standard software business model, which we view is the only sustainable model in the distributed software space. There are support and development costs that you guys aren't seeing here. We provided something like 35 free updates to Framework 1.X (PlatformPro); and for $95 we can't keep providing you great support and development for a one time cost. As for information about 2.0.. we're leaving a couple things secret until we launch. I can tell you it will have the PageLines Store, and will add more than 50 new features and improvements. The admin UI is completely redesigned, etc.. So with that, here's the deal.. First, if you're truly unhappy or feel 'screwed' because we want to some support for the things we're trying to do for you, then please email us and plead your case. Second, if you want to ultra discount by buying the pre-order with many/most features sight unseen, then buy it, and if you're unhappy with 2.0; we have no problem refunding you. In summary, two of the most important values of PageLines are karma and 'making people happy'... so we want to do what's right, but we wouldn't be here if we gave everything away free.. think about it.

makeylon
I have to agree with most of the posters here. When I purchased the theme, it was in the terms that it was free lifetime upgrades, and being asked to purchase it again seems rather unethical and greedy. That said, you guys generally provide OUTSTANDING support. Even if it is with the help of plain old users like myself. You are constantly trying to improve the product, and generally with very good effect. The bottom line is that the value us users are getting FAR exceeds the cost you are charging us. And while lifetime free upgrades of all levels would be nice, it is completely unrealistic to believe anybody would work for the rest of their lives with a one time $95 payment. I, for one, will be happy to pay the discounted discount for upgrading to the new platform, erm, Framework, knowing that it is really very little to pay for such a fantastic product. If you think about it, even at full price of $197, thats only about 49 cents a day. At the upgrade price of $97, it is 27 cents per day, and at 40% off that, it is only 16 cents per day. For all of us complaining about having to pay an upgrade price, I say to myself, quit being so cheap man... Would I work for 2 cents an hour???

Jenny
For those with questions about their "lifetime" membership, this comes from the FAQ which can be viewed here: http://www.pagelines.com/support/faq/. [quote][b]Question[/b] How do theme updates work? Do they cost money?[/quote] [quote][b]Answer[/b] When you purchase a theme from PageLines; all minor-release updates to that theme release are free. For example, if you have version 1.0, then all 1.X updates (including bug-fix and minor feature updates) will be free. Sometimes PageLines does major releases on existing theme platforms, for example, version 2.X to version 3.0. In these cases we may charge a small upgrade fee to help pay for the development (these are also free within 30 days of purchase).[/quote]

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

xeroboundaries
arpowers, Your explanation is reasonable. I suppose we will have to take your word for the fact that 2.0 is truly a new product... and that we will not know until release. As I said previously, you have always provided great support, which is why I think this came as a shock to some. I certainly do not feel that it is unreasonable for you to charge for new products, and the upgrade discount is a plus. But, you must understand, that if the upgrade is simply a rebranded version of the same thing, then I anticipate users feeling "screwed" by the move. That being said, I have no reason to think that you folks would intentionally take advantage of your customers and hope (and expect) that the new release will not disappoint. Jack

kinetic
Can we get a list of updates and improvements please? I really don't want to part with money without knowing what exactly I'm getting.

iconicimagery
makeylon - nail on head. I was happy to fully upgrade and take out a Pro Dev Membership in full. PageLines have a great product in Platform Pro and the customer service I've received has been top-notch. I can't easily afford it given my personal circumstances - but I look at it as a long-term investment in my business. I was still able to use the discount code and that was a huge help to me... something that other services didn't offer for products that I wasn't entirely happy with. As Jack said - "I have no reason to think that you folks would intentionally take advantage of your customers and hope (and expect) that the new release will not disappoint." Can't wait!

Pagelines 300

ryanvarley
As with everyone else here, I don't really mind paying to upgrade but you need to tell us what were upgrading to. At the moment you've gone "Hey guys, pay use more money to upgrade to 2.0 and we'll give you the excellent feature of being able to pay for more features!" it feels like your making us pay to use your shop which is nuts! I do love platform but this has made upgrading difficult, torn between paying the cheaper price now (knowing all your bringing is a store) or doubling it later (once we know what we're actually getting). Doesn't seem the right way to treat your long term customers. Overall I have decided to upgrade given the money back guarantee from arpowers, just give us abit more of a idea what were getting beyond parting with more cash next time! Make us excited not frustrated!

Andrew
ya, i hear you guys on not being able to see what you're getting... The idea is we're trying to keep the elements as kinda a surprise because we feel its more 'fun' that way... we're playing with the idea of anticipation... anyway... Here are some teasers to some major new handling features: http://i.imgur.com/UtEGB.png http://i.imgur.com/HGAqA.png I'm not worried about you guys liking this stuff. We've improved almost everything.

niccolo_tapparo
Hi, I have the developer edition of platform 1.X and I'd like to preorder the upgrade, but I have some questions. 1 - What's the difference between normal and developer edition of the framework? (I'm not interested in vectors). 2 - I have a bbpress 1.0.2 forum running with platform theme. Platform 2.0 has a bbpress 1.0.2 theme? or it only has some CSS for bbpress 2.0? 3 - I need developer edition for bbpress support? Thanks.

carl007
No you are talking by providing some teasers... doing this goes along way, you have nothing to loose :).

check my mini blog
www.depictdesign.com

niccolo_tapparo
I'd like only to receive some piece of information to understand the difference between normal and dev (like this page: http://www.pagelines.com/pricing/). Nothing more and no teasers. One more thing: price is 95$ (175$ dev) and after 8th December it goes up to 197$ (350$ dev???). Licenses increase by more than 100% from 1.X to 2.0!!!

lounge
I just ordered 2.0 Pre-Order + PlatformPro - and it's appearing on my main page. There is a download available, is this already the new version? Could you please clarify this? Or is 8 december the new release date of this wonderful piece of work?