Sign in to follow this  
trtllc

How can I create a page with list of posts from a single category?

trtllc

I am new to PlatformPro. I have installed the PlatformPro and PlatformBase themes. I am using PlatformBase. I wish to create a page that will contain some custom content, and then present a list of blog entries for a specific category. I have been able with the Default Page template to create custom content. However, I am unable to get a list of posts, much less list a single category of posts. Can someone give me a tip or two?

Rob
You can get a plugin called Special Recent Posts. Create your page, add the shortcode specific to the category and voila there's a list of your posts. If you want to make it look like our magazine format, do it in tables or use DivUp Content plugin to create two distinct columns. http://www.lucagrandicelli.com/special-recent-posts-plugin-for-wordpress/

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

trtllc
Thanks for that. I'll look into it. Is there a way to just create a page that lists posts, like a typical blog? I cannot seem to find that, either.

Rob
As I suggested, that plugin will by default use the blog format. You have to work it into columns if you want a magazine format. If you want blog format, then you just add the plugin's shortcode written to specify the category. BTW, it's recommended to buy the plugin for $6US. Well worth the price.

trtllc
I am just surprised that PlatformPro does not have a blog template. I thought that was a prerequisite of any WordPress theme. Thanks again for the help.

Rob
Actually this is a Wordpress thing. If you create a blank page called "blog" and add it to your site via Dashboard > Settings > Reading, you, irrespective of the template you choose, get a list of posts. However, if you add anything to the page, WP doesn't place content on that page, presuming you want to create your own static page. This is usually a homepage. See http://codex.wordpress.org/Creating_a_Static_Front_Page and http://wordpress.org/support/topic/how-to-create-a-blog-page

trtllc
OK, thanks for clarifying things. That helps me very much.

Rob
Great!