Sign in to follow this  
ah2evoxy82raqhs

Error trying to update PlatformPro Theme

ah2evoxy82raqhs

When trying to do an auto-update of Platform Pro I am getting the following error. I'm guessing it's a permissions problem. I'm running WP on IIS 7.5 so any ideas on which folders other than wp-content would need modify permissions, or any other possible suggestions, would be greatly appreciated. The update process is starting. This process may take a while on some hosts, so please be patient. Enabling Maintenance mode??¦ Updating Theme PlatformPro (1/1) Downloading update from http://xxx.xxxplatformpro.zip??¦ Unpacking the update??¦ Installing the latest version??¦ Removing the old version of the theme??¦ Theme update failed. An error occurred while updating PlatformPro: Could not remove the old theme..

Rob
Likely this is a permissions problem or your hosting may prevent it. I'll bump this to a developer, but could you provide a link to your site? Thanks.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

ah2evoxy82raqhs
http://www.dandylionhosting.com

Danny
Hi, Follow these instructions please: First switch to Twentyten theme, then using FTP, rename the PlatformPro folder to whatever you want. Upload the theme .zip (the new one) like you would any other theme, now you will have two Platform Pro folders, the old and the new one. Just activate the new one.

Please search our forums, before posting!

ah2evoxy82raqhs
@Catrina, no. I own and manage my own servers, so whatever adjustments would need to be made I have full access to the machine to make. @Danny, that sounds like a 'work around' rather than a fix to the problem. Assuming I used this work around; once the site has been completely designed, custom layouts and settings, etc. what would the ramifications of upgrading in this way have on the appearance of the site once I reactivate the new theme? Where folder are the changes and settings to the theme stored? Thanks to you both.

Simon
Custom settings are all stored in the database, so assuming you have not edited the core files the settings will be fine. If you want to edit files you need to be using a 'child theme' which inherits all the parent themes files and settings. We provide one called PlatformBase, you just install it like a normal theme and activate it. The reason WordPress cant update the theme is because there is one or more files that cannot be deleted in the theme folder, your web server process does not have permissions to delete the file, thats why we suggest renaming the folder, if you have 'root' access then just change the permissions and try the upgrade again.