Sign in to follow this  
rweiss

Boxes area won't open to edit

rweiss

My client kept writing that she can't edit the Boxes, and I thought it was an issue of not knowing how. I just went to see what she might be talking about, and see what she means. When you click on Boxes in the dashboard, none of the sections will open. SO I decided to try the Features area (although we aren't currently running any, and it won't open either. Everything else in the dashboard works, including the Platform Pro area. So..what is going on?

Rob
I'm sending this to a developer. Have you or your client added any new plugins?

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

rweiss
The site has a lot of plugins. It is a very complex site. It would take a long time to deactivate and activate each one - so if it is a conflict it would be nice to know what types of plugins might cause it.

Rob
It could be anything, particularly things that use custom post types.

Rob
As I said, I've sent this to the developers for attention, so it's simply a matter of awaiting their reply.

rweiss
I know, I was just hoping for some experience with plugins that are known conflicts. It appears that the Thumbnail For Excerpts plugin is the culprit - which is not good as it is a key feature of how the client wants the pages to look.

Rob
Have you searched for a replacement or written to the plugin author for an update?

Rob
That plugin expired more than a year ago, with WP 2.9.2. Your plugins must be up to date and fully compatible with WP 3.2.1 to be sure of working. http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/thumbnail-for-excerpts/ You know you can actually add a thumbnail manually to the excerpt area? Just add it to the body temporarily, copy the code for a thumbnail size (adjusted as you please) and paste into the thumbnail. It must be aligned left to appear on that side (never centered) and should be before the first character of the excerpt. You could also try Special Recent Posts, a plugin that will give you a list of posts with the excerpt and thumbnail.

Rob
I'd suggest you check the plugins on your client's site to ensure the other plugins are up to date. I've cancelled the request for the developer's attention as we've identified the problem.

rweiss
I gather from your response that the automatic updater is not to be relied upon? I always do updates on plugins as the notices come. So...apparently this isn't 100% reliable, since there has not been a notice that this plugin is out of date. I only installed it this past summer, and I hadn't noticed anything saying that it was only good through 2.9.2. Need to pay more attention to that.