Sign in to follow this  
bizint

Putting Posts on Pages - A solution to replace "associated posts" or use categories properly.

bizint

Thanks for your patience! I thought I had a solution for my "knowledge" section. With sidebar left, I needed a child menu on the left, with posts relating to the child section in the main content. Yes I understand this is possible using a category list as the child menu menu - but the post and category navigation never seems to fit with page site navigation. My solution was to download a plug in called "associated posts". This allows me to establish a full "page" navigation system, but show posts actually in the page. See working here: http://www.businessinteriors.co.uk/betatest/wordpress/knowledge/news-blog/office-construction-news/ - showing construction news... ...however click on a category...and I get a similar looking "page" (but its not really its a post opage?!), except the posts are laid out in Pagelines style (more attractive I might add) without the page menu because its a post page?! see here: http://www.businessinteriors.co.uk/betatest/wordpress/office-design-news/business-interiors-news/london-office-news/ ..because the associated posts author wants 30usd I need an associated post style solution but with what we've got to work with....I need to create first link, but using second link building blocks.... Any ideas?! Please tell me it s a synch! Although if it was easy, I'm surprised someone is charging 30USD for the plug ion solution!

Jenny
The simple and free solution is to just deal with the category menu items not behaving like the rest of the navigation. I know that's not the answer you want to hear, but that's what I do on all of my blogs. And if you want it all to match, then just fix the menu items that do behave properly to have them match those that don't. Other than that, I don't know of any other plugins, personally. I haven't ever needed or wanted to do what you're doing. I'm sorry I can't be of more help!

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

bizint
Well, if I could do that, I think it would be the best solution! The standard layout is better than associated posts anyway...I have a widget that automatically calls the page navigation...I suppose I should hide it for post pages and show a category menu in its place that looks the same. But...umm...how do I do that? When I use Category menu widgets...it shows all my categories in a long list....I just want 5. Do I just create a menu in the menu section? But can I make it look the same as my sub menu widget? Any pointers much appreciated and I will get started!

Kate
@bizint With CSS, you can make things look pretty much however you want ;) And, yes: if you're not looking for a very dynamic solution, a menu would work just fine.