Sign in to follow this  
sglanville

Global Content Width randomly changing

sglanville

I posted this as a left margin problem previously, but upon further research the problem is with the Global Content Width setting. The setting will change randomly, messing up the site layout. Is there a way in the css to fix the width? I've tried .fixed_width #page, .fixed_width #footer, .canvas #page-canvas { width: 988px !important;} without success. And, I have found this section in the database which refers to the settings, but the I don't yet have the CSS skills to convert this into code needed to insert into the custom css s:13:"content_width"; s:3:"988"; <============ this is the width I want to fix the site to. s:9:"fullwidth"; a:2: { s:16:"maincolumn_width"; s:3:"620"; s:20:"primarysidebar_width"; s:3:"240"; } s:17:"one-sidebar-right"; a:2: { s:16:"maincolumn_width"; s:3:"640"; s:20:"primarysidebar_width"; s:3:"348"; } s:16:"one-sidebar-left"; a:2: { s:16:"maincolumn_width"; s:3:"640"; s:20:"primarysidebar_width"; s:3:"348"; }

Rob
Usually, the change in width is caused by a plugin trying to set a specific width for things, rather than a flexible one. Try deactivating each plugin temporarily and revisiting the settings after a hard refresh (Shift + F5) to see if the problem stops. If it does, either find a replacement for the plugin (possibly outdated) or, write the plugin author to see if they have a solution. If it's not a plugin, let us know.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

sglanville
Ugh, since I can't recreate the problem its pretty difficult to tie it to a specific plugin. I do know that when the size changes the value changes on the platformpro layout page, so something is changing the value in the database. Within the database the option name is pagelines-settings, it does not seem logical that another plugin would be changing that value. I'll concede that in the beginning having it be a variable was cool, now however, with everything set in stone it will never be changed again. Is there no way to hard code this value?

Jenny
Can you please provide a link to your site?

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

sglanville
The site is bebetsy.com If the problem is visible it will be obvious as two black bars on either side of the graphic on the main page. I'm trying to nail down what chain of events causes the problem, so here is a link to a screen shot of what it looks like just in case it hasn't happened since the last reset: http://bebetsy.com/helppagelines/randomlines.jpg

catrina
I'm not seeing the issue in Chrome, but it might be the feature slider's background color showing through. I doubt they're thick left and right borders. Try adding this to Custom Code > Custom CSS: [code]div#feature_slider {background-color: #fff;}[/code]

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

sglanville
Its not a browser issue. It is the same in chrome, IE, Firefox, Safari, Mac Safari, Mac Firefox and IOS Safari. While I could change the background color it still messes up the layout. Look at it again and you'll see the problem now.

Rob
Something on your site is widening it to a number greater than the width you manually set it to. This can happen from several things. We need to review each one. 1. Plugins can set the width of your site's body if they have specified widths for things rather than dynamic in their own CSS. For example, if you have a sidebar of 190px and the plugin calls for a 300px width then you're missing 110px. I'm using large numbers, but they can be small. Good plugins use a percentage rather than fixed width. This is why I'm suggesting you turn off one plugin at a time and check to see if the problem goes away after you deactivate each. Don't just browse to your site, but browse and do a hard refresh of the page/site. 2. Menus can change the width if they're too long. Visually, a menu may seem perfect in width, but with padding, font sizes and font spacing, a menu can push the margin edges of your site out of alignment. The fixes are to change the default font used for the menus to something smaller, check the Advanced settings for fonts to make sure there's little or no character spacing or finally, try to adjust the words for the menu so they're smaller. I am presuming you've gone back into Template Layout, fixed the problem and it recurred. If that's the case, it must be one of the two options above. I notices that the menu (in Firefox) is rather wide. Also, try to switch Home Etcetera with Be Inspired as the drop down on the latter can also affect the overall with as it's not floating within the page canvas, but outside. Another option you really should consider is restructuring the menu so that it's all in one single line, with drop downs that provide groupings people will understand and use easily. Some of your links in the menu could be in subnav while others could be secondary nav. Overall, my guess is there's a combination of menu plus plugins causing this.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Danny
From what I can see and I havent everything on here, but simply checked your site out, you say you set your sites width to 988px, which is the same width as your feature images. I found this peice of code with may be the culprit: [code] #site .content, .wcontent, #primary-nav ul.main-nav.nosearch { width: 1004px; } [/code] Changing this code to 988px, seems to fix the problem. So add that to your custom code and let us know if this resolves the issue.

Please search our forums, before posting!