Sign in to follow this  
sjlocke

Change Content Sidebar or Morefoot per page?

sjlocke

I'd like to use widgets in my main content area on my front page. So, I've put them into the "Content Sidebar" section for example, and display that on my main page. I'm using the 3 column morefoot in my footer with my twitter feed and some text. Now, on my posts page, I'd like some widgets below my posts listing, like 3 widgets across. Can I "duplicate" morefoot somehow to make morefoot1 so I can display different widgets here than on my front page? I hope I asked this in a way that made sense, lol.

Rob
I'm unsure about using the Content Sidebar in this manner, but you can use a plugin called DivUp Content to divide your content area into 3 columns (presuming that's your goal) and shortcodes from plugins to place the plugin into the columns. You could do this in a static page, not in a dynamic one.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

sjlocke
What I want is to have my latest posts in the content area, maybe 3 or 4, and then below it, have 3 widgets going across, for example, one with the most popular posts, one with the categories and one with a calendar... I don't want everything down the side.

Rob
Perhaps you misread my statement, so let me reiterate that DivUp Content plugin actually divides the CONTENT AREA and you can place shortcode (those snippets in square brackets like [widget_here]) into the div. That would permit you to have the three contiguous columns, side by side, not stacked, within the content area. You can also create a table to do this. However, your posts will be problematic either way as they won't show up as they do on a blog page when you've added any content to the page. To achieve showing your posts, you'll need a separate plugin. There are several good ones out there. I've successfully used TPG Get Posts, though it doesn't show the featured image (thumbnail). Another excellent once I've used which does show the thumbnail and may be placed in the content area (very customizable too) is Special Recent Posts. I have several sites that use a combination of tables, Special Recent Posts plugin and even RSS feeds to deliver content from the site to the static front page.

sjlocke
I haven't experimented with shortcode yet. I'll have to look at that plugin. I don't want the entire content area divided, just the area below the last X posts. A simpler way would just be to be able to duplicate the content sidebar section. I'm surprised you can't make as many as you like, somehow.

kastelic
Try the Widget Logic Plugin, it allows you to specify which plugins appear on which pages via Wordpress Conditional tags: http://codex.wordpress.org/Conditional_Tags That way, you would put all the widgets in the same widget area for the section, but some would appear on certain pages, and others on other pages. Is this what you're trying to accomplish?

sjlocke
Sounds like it might. I could dump a bunch of widgets in the content sidebar, and then show whichever I like on the front page vs. the blog?

Rob
Yes. Widget logic lets you select the appearance of plugins on pages, posts or categories you select.