Sign in to follow this  
freshlightstudios

Custom Code / Missing Child Theme

freshlightstudios

I recently took a small contract to make changes to a Platform Pro theme. When I tried adding custom CSS code, the code wasn't being applied to the live site. I noticed that there was no PlatformBase (child) theme installed, just PlatformPro. Is this what is causing this issue? If I need to install the child theme, do I need to upgrade the PlatformPro first? The installed theme is version 1.50. And if I need to upgrade, are there issues I need to look out for? There has already been a lot of customization done on this site. Thanks! Pete

Rob
The current versions are PlatformPro 1.5.3 and PlatformBase 1.4.1 and yes, you should have both, with base activated. Please see http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/14315/activating-the-correct-theme#Item_1 for help with this. It would be advisable to upgrade 1.5.0 to 1.5.3 but please read that topic first. Upgrading will overwrite any changes and customizations previously made. You add the custom CSS code to the Custom Code in the CSS Rules section (which applies it dynamically to overwrite any other CSS in the site).

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

freshlightstudios
Hi Rangeone, That answers most of my question, thank you. Quick follow-up: Since I am hesitant to upgrade my client's pre-existing site, is it possible to obtain an older version of PlatformBase that will work with PlatformPro 1.5.0? Thanks, Peter

catrina
I don't think you need a previous version of PlatformBase to accompany PlatformPro 1.5.0. You can use the current version of PlatformBase (1.4.1).

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

Rob
Peter, I don't believe so. I do believe however, that starting with v. 1.5.0, there's an option to download all the Platform settings. If you FTP into the client's site and download the entire wp-content/themes/platformpro folder to your desktop, you will have a backup copy of the original. You can save the settings in a .dat file (created by Platform) to your machine, and you can also use the Dashboard > Tools > Export settings to keep a full copy of the database content. In a worst case scenario, you'd be prepared to restore everything that way. Meanwhile we're always here to help you along the way.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

freshlightstudios
OK rangelone, I completed all three backups. I also uploaded the child theme according to catrina's suggestion. Is the next logical step to activate the base child theme and then upload the PageLines .dat file to the child theme? Do I then also restore the platformpro theme to default settings? Thanks, Pete

Danny
Hi Pete, I don't think you need to restore Platform Pro theme settings, I think you can leave them as they are.

Please search our forums, before posting!

freshlightstudios
OK so the child theme has been successfully installed and activated, and I noticed three things: 1. The menu is now broken. Specifically, the theme seems to be ignoring child menu items. No drop downs. 2. The custom code from the PlatformPro theme seems to be being "passed" down to the PlatformBase child theme. 3. It is still ignoring the custom code I am adding. Specifically I am trying to suppress the display of tags with this: .tags { display: none; } Any ideas? Pete