Sign in to follow this  
andrewsjosh

Editing a bbpress forum front page

andrewsjosh

I want to add an image and intro text to the front page of a bbpress forum. When you create a forum using the bbpress plugin, a "page" is automatically created within the WP install. When I try to add content via the WP admin to display at the top of a forum page, nothing shows up. Does WP have any control over a forum front page? Can I edit a forum front page (or a forum page template) within Platform files? Or do I need to hard code this in via the plugin files?

Rob
That's a darn good question. Candidly, I don't know. bbPress, now being a plugin, no longer uses templates, but supposedly works within the templates of the theme you're using (no matter which one it may be), but it never really selects one of the theme's templates because it's not really a page, but a custom post type. So in essence, your analysis is spot-on - WP controls it. As for hard coding, I think it would be a tough call because we really don't know which template is being used. Normally, we could tell you to copy and edit a template or section and add it to platformbase folder. But in the case of bbpress if you look through it, bbPress is all over the place. I hate to do this, but suggest you visit http://www.bbpress.org and look through their support forums to find out of anyone else has asked this question or anyone has actually answered it. One thing I dare say I'm really disappointed in with bbPress plugin is the notion that we have to do lots of CSS work to make the site look reasonably valid. Meanwhile, I'll suggest you take a look at Vanilla Forums. Again, sorry I couldn't be of more help with this.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur