Sign in to follow this  
jordana_che

Featured image on Blog page

jordana_che

Hi, I am trying to get the featured image to show up on the blog page (would like to change the site to have that the blog as the landing page) but I can't get it to appear on the page. Can you please take a look and let me know what I'm missing. right now it is here: www.jordanadance.com and is on the home page. The blog page I've set up is here: www.jordanadance.com/blog-2. Also, on the blog space I would like to have the boxes separated with a transparent background. I have it coded (as on all other pages) to be white...but if I change this on the blog (mcolumn pad) then it changes all other pages...is there a way to code it so only the blog posts have that? Thank you.

jordana_che
update: I've now made the blog posts the homepage but I want to be able to put the featured image that is here (http://jordanadance.com/sample-page) onto this page. thanks!

jordana_che
forgive me for going on, but I've done a workaround for the time being; but I also want to be able to have the page that Home goes to as the same page with my blog posts.

catrina
By featured image, are you referring to a featured image for a specific post or a feature slider? Also, to make mcolumn transparent on only the blog, please add the following CSS: [code]body.home.blog div.mcolumn-pad {background-color: none;}[/code]

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

jordana_che
I guess I want the option for both. To be able to use it for a post would be great. But if you look at it here, it's also on the page (http://jordanadance.com/sample-page). The only problem with this format is that the landing page and the posts page can't be the same (or at least I get a warning when I ask for that). So is my only option to have it for that particular post?

jordana_che
also, tried your coding fix for the background and unfortunately that only works for the posts but then deletes the white background for the pages. Here's the code I have in there: body.home.blog div.mcolumn-pad {background-color: none;} } .post {background-color: #ffffff; padding: } .mcolumn-pad{ background-color: #ffffff; margin-top:28px; } If I delete the .mcolumn-pad{ background-color: #ffffff; margin-top:28px; } then it works but the pages content has a transparent background as well. I want them all to have white backgrounds but the posts to have separation between each so it's clear they're different posts.....

Rob
To include the feature slider on your static blog page, when editing the page, select Feature Page on the list of templates on the right, in the box under the Update button. To include feature images in posts, you need to add a feature image to each post. They should be set to show up in the list of posts in the blog list.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

jordana_che
thanks; forgot how that worked HOWEVER, the problem is that I want the top of the blog page (which is also the landing page) to look like the feature does here: http://jordanadance.com/sample-page but the blog page is this: http://jordanadance.com/ and I can't seem to make the blog page the landing page without getting the warning.

catrina
The blog page isn't a static page, so it should be the landing page "by default"... unless you created the blog page by some other means...?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

jordana_che
it IS the landing page now BUT in the panel there's an option to have your posts go to a page...I would make that the sample-page that has the feature image the way I like it but it won't let me.

jordana_che
again; the problem is that I want the top of the blog page (which is also the landing page) to look like the feature does here: http://jordanadance.com/sample-page but the blog page is this: http://jordanadance.com/ and I can't seem to make the blog page the landing page without getting the warning.

jordana_che
Again, the warning tells me that the landing page and the posts page can't be the same. This process is extremely frustrating to be honest and is keeping me from using this tool for other clients.

Rob
That's true. However, if you create both a home page (static) and a blog page (static) you can use the Feature Page template for both (putting the feature slider on the top) and add each in the appropriate place in the Wordpress Settings > Reading area.

Rob
If there's nothing on the homepage in the body of the editing area, it should by default pick up content.

jordana_che
ok, not sure I completely understand but, I had nothing in the homepage content (when I had sample-page as the landing page. I also had a blog page that I assigned the posts to (both were static) BUT the posts only went to the blog page. With your scenario, what do I choose as the front page and what do I choose as the posts page? Did I have them reversed? I had the Front page as sample-page and the posts page as blog.

catrina
Is this blog page with the assigned posts a regular page that you added a shortcode to in order to generate the latest posts or is it the default blog page where posts are automatically displayed? The front page chosen should be whatever page you want as the homepage and the posts page can be displayed as a page in the navigation menu (using Appearance > Menus). If you wanted sample-page as the front static page, I don't think you had them reversed.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

jordana_che
is there some way to talk on the phone about his? At this point it would be so much easier as it's clear that I'm not communicating what I need.

Jenny
The warning that you get is because you can't have the same page set for both options. Just set the page for either home page or the blog page.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

Danny
OK, what she wants to do is have her homepage have the feature slider underneath the navigation bar and then underneath the slider have her latest blog posts. What you will need to do, is create a new page, for this example call it "New Homepage" and select the feature template, save that page and then goto Wordpress Admin Dashboard --> Settings --> Reading, on there where it says static page, "Front page" in the drop down select the page called "New Homepage" and save your settings. Now if you goto your Homepage, there should be a feature slider and no other content, to display your latest blog posts, you're going to have to use a hook and then add it to your functions.php file located in /wp-content/themes/platformbase/ I can't remember the code off the top of my head, but I will do a few tests and as soon as I get it working, I will reply here with the correct code along with the instructions on how to add the code.

Please search our forums, before posting!

jordana_che
cool, thanks. FYI, gonna leave it as it right now til we have it figured out as she has some news that we want to make sure is present. Thanks Danny.