Sign in to follow this  
wendygordon

Sidebar Wrap on Bottom not working

wendygordon

I have seen a few threads about this, but havent seen a solution. The sidebar wrap works great if i select it to be on top. If i select it to be on the bottom, I see a large blank space where it should be - but no widgets come in. Does anyone have a coding work around to force the sidebar wrap to select the bottom position? thanks so much. Wendy

wendygordon
yes. bottom sidebar is enabled. and you can see the div for #sidebar-wrap in firebug. let me know if you want me to change it to top sidebar enabled so you can see the difference. I couldn't see anything. W

wendygordon
no. that is the primary sidebar. the sidebar wrap uses the base sidebar (though i have tried the tertiary also) has 2 text widgets in it with the title sidebar wrap with the text "what is going on" and another text widget titled SIDEBAR WRAP with the text: WHAT CAN WE DO WITH THIS? I REALLY WANT TO KNOW. FYI. i can see the sidebar wrap on the About Tom page. I just did a little test. With the setting of sidebar wrap to Bottom. I enabled primary and secondary sidebars on About Tom (2 sidebars-right). And POOF the sidebar wrap disappeared. I then DISABLED the primary and secondary sidebars on ABOUT TOME. and the sidebar wrap came back. THEN, I changed the setting to sidebar wrap to TOM, re-enabled the primary and secondary sidebars. AND NOW .... I can see all three sidebars :primary, secondary, and sidebarwrap (in this case - Base Sidebar). (I was playing around for a minute. it is set back to BOTTOM, and on the home page, the primary and secondary sidebars are ENABLED, on the About Tom page, they are disabled. HMMMMMM.? any ideas?

wendygordon
oops that should say: changed the setting to sidebar wrap to TOP (not TOM)

wendygordon
yes. and still no luck. isn't this weird? do you happen to know what is the hard code that makes the switch from top to bottom? i could maybe try that?

catrina
I'm not sure what the code is exactly (this should be something a developer knows). Perhaps someone else will have insight.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

wendygordon
catrina, you are a sweetheart for giving this a go. i will post to the developers. thanks so much for everything. Wendy

Rob
Wendy, I have a few questions. When setting up the Sidebar Wrap in Dashboard > PlatformPro > Sidebars did you check the box that says "Hide Sidebars when Empty"? In the Template Setup under Sidebar Wrap, instead of using Base sidebar, could you try Universal Sidebar?

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

wendygordon
Hey Danny. i tried it both ways: Hiding when empty and not. Also, I tried all of the available widgets in the sidewrap bar template. and nothing! One new development though. for a very brief moment, i could see the Sidewrap at the bottom.. BUT... The title was at the bottom of the greyed out square the sat ON TOP of all of the other items on the site, and the box extended UPWARDS almost to the menu. I quickly decided that i should deactivate the sidebar wrap for THAT page. Also, FYI.. I have just reinstalled a backup of my site from several days ago because i was convinced there was a corruption in my database, and either the corruption has been there from the beginning or... ? Also, deactivated all widgets. nothing. this is driving me nuts!

Rob
Well, Wendy, don't let it drive you nuts. I tried the same thing on my sites and guess what... Didn't work for me either. I've asked the developers to look into this, but because we're coming out with a new version of Platform soon, I'm not particularly confident we'll come up with a solution for v. 1.5.3. Very few people have mentioned this problem, so with sincere apologies, it seems to have fallen through the cracks with all the new development work. No setting changes worked and I even tried it on a site that only had 2 plugins - Akismet and Hello Dolly installed but not activated. Clearly, not a plugin issue. I will keep you posted if there's any news.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

wendygordon
thanks so much. and sorry, i got your name wrong. fyi, there is some other wonky stuff - especially with widgets showing up where they shouldnt. i wonder if i have a data corruption? do you think deleting and reinstalling the theme could, might help? and before you say yes. what are the chances that i will screw everything up. we are going live tomorrow am! looking forward to the new launch. when is it coming out?

Danny
Hi Wendy, :wave: Danny here :D Would it be possible for you to post a link to your site or attach a screenshot showing us exacly what is happening please? You can take a screenshot, and then use the [img] Link to Image [/img] to add a image to your post.

Please search our forums, before posting!

wendygordon
Hey Danny, i cant post the image now ... i have moved on to another issue. but this is what i can tell you. it is DEFINATELY a bug. I just created a NEW database. installed Platform Base. No added plugins. No custom CSS code. The only thing I did was: 1. load a logo image. 2. create a page called Home 3. set the Reading setting to static home page. 4. configure my page to use the Features Template. And 5. Configure my widgets as follows: Sidebar 1: primary and Tertiary, Sidebar 2: Secondary. Sidebar Wrap: Base. Then. I selected layout 1 sidebar right. and the Sidebar came up on top. YEAH! I then changed it to bottom. and YES! the sidebar wrap was on the bottom. UNTILLLLLL. I changed the layout to 2 sidebars left. and all hell broke loose! The base widget was pushed all the way up against the bottom of sidebar 2 and encroaching fully into sidebar 1 where the calendar is before you put in any widgets. In other words - it was occupying the same space as the calendar and spanned both column widths. (and dont forget, sidebar 1 has 2 widgets in it, so the sidebar wrap shouldnt be any where near secondary sidebar. it should be under tertiary which is the bottom of sidebar 1. This is also true for 2 sidebars right. If i put the sidebar wrap setting back to top, it does what it should and spans both columns of the primary and secondary sidebars. If I select options with 1 sidebar, the sidebar wrap goes to the bottom of the column of sidebar 1 just like it should. Hope this helps. Wendy

Danny
Hi Wendy, I'm going to do a test and follow your instructions, before I do that I want to confirm exactly what you did. 1. Load a logo image using in Platform Settings --> Global Options. 2. Create a page called Home. 3. Set the Home page to Front Page in Settings --> Reading. 4. Configure your Homepage using the Feature Template, can you tell what sections you had active in the Features Template. 5. Configure your sidebars via Template Setup in Platform Settings --> Template Setup Sidebar 1: Primary & Tertiary Sidebar 2: Secondary Sidebar Wrap: Base 6. When you say you select layout 1 sidebar right, I assume you mean in Platform Settings --> Layout Editor. Now this is where you loose me, when you say "and the Sidebar came up on top." do you mean Sidebar Wrap ? and when you changed it to bottom, it was at the bottom. The when you changed the layout to 2 Sidebars on the left, all hell broke loose. Confirm the above and I will start a test right away and try to confirm if it's a bug or not.

wendygordon
sorry. late night. bad english. to answer you. 4. all default sections were active for the page. i didnt add/change any sections in the template setup - nor did i hide/show any for the page. 6. yes. in platform settings. When i looked at the page: this is what i saw. the sidebar wrap was in it's proper place - spanning 2 columns above sidebar 1 and sidebar 2. when I switched the setting to "bottom" the sidebar wrap did span both columns, but it was not at the bottom of the sidebars 1 & 2. it was in the middle of sidebar1 so that it spanned thru and OVER the calendar that comes up when you dont put any widgets in sidebar 1 and show empty sidebars. This position corresponded with the bottom of side bar 2, which at default doesnt preload with any widgets and says something in the placeholder box, like "this is where your widget goes" in other words, there were 2 widgets occupying the same physical space. think of it like a reverse capital letter T - imagine if the cross bar of the T was positioned in the middle of the | , rather than sitting at the bottom of it.

wendygordon
Hey Danny. one more bit of data. I just did a new install on a new server. The error is the same. completely replicateable.

Danny
Hi Wendy, I would really need a link to your site, if you can PM on these forums with account details with admin rights and I can take a closer look for you.