Sign in to follow this  
dainiswmichel

hey is this favicon cooler transparent or should i put a background on it?

dainiswmichel

i'm curious if u think the favicon for this site www.curetinnitus.org would be cooler with a background (white). i had an older version with a white background and i liked it because it looked more "prominent," however, i think certain browsers mighta made the favicon look goofy because of the handling of the background. whaddya say? transparent? white background? eh?

catrina
The white background in the favicon is fine since it matches the site logo you have in the header. I don't think it looks goofy. To put it this way: if it the background stayed transparent, think about how the logo would look if someone added your site to their browser bookmarks/favorites and they had some custom browser theme or skin that made the interface black (your logo wouldn't show up very well). I don't know anyone who uses browser themes or skins, but it's just a thought.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

dainiswmichel
funny, i'm pretty sure what you checked out had a transparent background, but that your browser was putting it over white. not 100% sure, just "pretty sure." anyway, here is a screenshot with transparent and white background versions. since Firefox has a bit of a grey tint to its tabs, i kind of like how the transparent one looks. regarding browsers n skins, hmm -- could actually look really cool actually. and if it messes up the favicon in someone's browser who has a pink and green checkered skin -- eh? -- maybe that's not all that big of a concern. i'm postulating that for any smooth, grey, blue-ish, etc. tab color, the transparent favicon will look better than if i "determine" the color. also, the stark white could be an issue, so maybe i could use the color scheme i currently have in the footer of www.curetinnitus.org, where i fade the "exit from tinnitus" symbology to a tan/golden background. also, that logo is transparent over the tan. but of course if i used that as a favicon i would use the golden background color. thanks so much for your friendly input, you guys really did a good job here with the favicon and the CI. seriously, great job!