Sign in to follow this  
sglanville

Drop Down Menu Flakeyness

sglanville

My site has two rows of menus. The top row being the most important is all drop down menus. The second row only has 3 menu items with drop downs. There is a problem when the lower menu has a drop down and you try to navigate the upper menu's drop down. Go to http://bebetsy.com and try "Smart Money" and "Be Inspired." Choosing the drop down menu items can be quite a chore. Sometimes it will work fine and others the menu disappears as you mouse down. I've tried Firefox 7, IE 9, Chrome 14, and Safari 5.1 with the same experience. Any suggestions?

Jenny
It depends on the speed at which the mouse pointer is being used, that's all. So if you try to move too quickly, the menu doesn't appear. You may be able to fix this using javascript or jquery but I know nothing about either one. Someone else here may have other ideas as well.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

sglanville
I don't think its a speed issue. For me it happens regardless of how fast or slow I move.

Rob
I'm sorry to say it, but I think the problem is you have too many menu choices structured into the primary menu. Speaking as someone with a food site online now 15 years, with over 220,000 pages of content, I can honestly say you need better organization of the menu. It's not necessary to put all that stuff there as it will cause confusion. I've been down this path and visitors will navigate pretty well given menu names they'll understand. The ability to combine drop downs with grandchildren PLUS secondary nav makes it possible to provide extensive navigation opportunities for the reader. On your site, and I'm trying to be constructive, not critical, as people hover over the large number of menu items, many with drop downs, it is expected they'll have precise cursor control. Most folks don't, particularly with folks who cook. They're often distracted and move the cursor a hair, ending up on the wrong menu item. Then they get frustrated and leave. That would be a shame for so wonderful and attractive a site.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur