Sign in to follow this  
adaml44

Sidebar, Nav Menu, Footer, G+ Icon

adaml44

Hey all, I??™m not sure if I should put this all in one post, or separate them by issue, but I??™ll go with one for now on the theory of ???while you??™re looking at my site...??? I know it's really long, but I swear it's not as bad as it looks. I??™ve already gotten some great help from simple_mama last weekend (very helpful), and from rangelone earlier today on some new issues that cropped up (he was absolutely amazing), and that has been very much appreciated. But I come again asking for still more (and some of the same). The site is here: www.adamlillylaw.com 1. Sidebars I have sidebars with unique text on some pages, and managed to get that sorted out with a plugin and reading through old responses here on the forum. Now, I??™d like to format the text in there. Based on a tip I got before for my footer, I think it would be CSS in my platformbase stylesheet to the effect of this: #sidebar_primary{ text-align:center; } That worked to center the text. However, I don??™t want it centered (so I removed it). I??™d like to make the text larger, italicized, and potentially in another color (like my headers). Also, if at all possible, I??™d like to have a colored background for the sidebar area. Barring that, I??™d at least like to be able to insert a dividing bar, like there is above the footer, so it looks like a ???real??™ sidebar rather than just a narrow second column. 2. Navigation Menu Right now the buttons on the primary nav menu are left-aligned. I??™d like to make them ???justified???, so they??™re spaced in a way that fills the width of the canvas. I??™ve found code that will make it centered: #nav_row {padding-bottom:10px;} #nav_row ul{text-align:centered;} #nav_row ul li{float:none !important;display:inline;} #nav_row ul li a{float:none !important;display:inline;} But substituting ???justified??? or ???justify??? for ???centered??? doesn??™t work for the result I want (it puts it back to left-aligned). It also scrunched the shaded area right up to the text rather than having padding above and below, and caused the sub-menu to overlap. So if the solution is finding the right key word for that code, I??™d like to be able to implement it in a way that maintains the current aesthetic and padding ??“ just spread out across the canvas width. 3. Footer I??™m currently using a Universal Sidebar for my footer. This solution isn??™t completely satisfactory for a few reasons: a) I want the footer text anchored to the bottom, rather than showing up just beneath the body, well above the bottom of shorter pages. B) there??™s a strip (maybe ?? inch) of background color showing under the canvas, but I want the canvas to extend to the bottom of the page (like the top does). c) for some reason, there??™s no bar between the ???footer??? text and the boxes on the home page, like there is between the body of the other pages and the faux-footer. The problem, though, is that I want to keep my footer canvas-width (rather than full-width), and as a single column with centered text. I??™ve had no success in my attempts to use the Platform footer. 4. Google+ There??™s a noticeable space between the G+ and facebook logos. I tried to move the G+ logo to the far right, as suggested by simple_mama. I was able to make it show up above the site??™s header logo, on the far right of the line of social media icons (taking a new line below the site logo), and overlapping the facebook and linked in icons, but never in line with the other icons, on the right.

Rob
Adam, No. 1. Go to http://www.epicurus.com and look at the sidebar under "Marketplace" and view the source code. You'll see I created a styled table (styling each table component) and placing both background color and changing text styles. Also, visit this for font management by CSS http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_font.asp No. 2. Try this instead of the CSS you have. [code]#nav_row ul{padding-bottom:10px;float:none;text-align:center;} #primary-nav li{float:none;display:inline;} #primary-nav a{float:none;display:inline;}[/code] No. 3. I'm going to recommend a background similar to the one I showed you yesterday on epicurusinstitute.org. It doesn't have to be an architectural theme, but, it could be your grey background but using a different canvas. I think that may be the problem. If you'd like me to work on that we we did yesterday, give me a call. No. 4. Somewhere in the setup for Google1+, that setup has the following code: [code]
[/code] You will note the "width: 90px;" which is setting it apart from the other icons. I'm not sure where you put it, probably a hook in functions.php. That's where you'd have to change it. Cut the 90px down to 60px and see if that fixes the problem and adjust accordingly.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur