Sign in to follow this  
profoundtigger

global nav not showing up on theme locations

Jenny
First, you must have PlatformBase as your active theme, not PlatformPro. Second, did you follow all of the steps, including: 1. Create the file "section.globalnav.php" in the sections folder? 2. Add the specified line of code to platformbase/functions.php? 3. Check Appearance -> Menus -> Theme Locations for the menu?

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

Jenny
Also, if you have edited any files in PlatformPro (i.e. if you didn't have PlatformBase activated), then you will need to upload fresh copies via FTP. Visit your account page on this website to download the theme if necessary.

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

profoundtigger
yes, i did all the following 1. Create the file "section.globalnav.php" in the sections folder? 2. Add the specified line of code to platformbase/functions.php? 3. Check Appearance -> Menus -> Theme Locations for the menu? we arent suppose to edit the files in platformpro? i kind of read that somewhere but i didn't want to rely too much on custom css instead the simple files such as font-size and padding were all on platformpro which i edit.

Jenny
No, you aren't supposed to edit the files in PlatformPro. If you are doing any customization at all, you must use the child theme, PlatformBase. In fact, adding the section and adding the line to functions.php in PlatformPro probably won't even work.

profoundtigger
oh, alright ill just reupload platformpro and base. One more question before i get started fixing my site. If i ever need to edit files from platformpro i just override it to base and edit it from there right? so lets say i need to the functions.php which the base already have i just overwrite it with the platformpro existing one to base and edit it from there?

Jenny
Make sure you backup any settings and save any custom CSS and functions to your computer before reinstalling. To clarify a little, PlatformBase is the customizable child theme. It pulls whatever it needs from PlatformPro. So while you should only have PlatformBase as your activate theme, you still need to have PlatformPro installed as well (so the child can pull from the parent). You won't need to over-write anything. In the case of functions,php (and with PlatformBase activated), when you click Appearance -> Editor, you will see a functions.php file. This file is 100% editable and, as you will see, is quite bare. It's just sitting there waiting for you to add functions (again, once you have activated the child theme ;)).

profoundtigger
Thanks for the information i understand now. okay going back to topic about the globalnav, i've done everything mentioned on the top post using platformbase for some odd reason the on menu -> theme location that feature is still not showing up.

Rob
If you actually copied functions.php from wp-content/themes/platformpro to wp-content/themes/platformbase, it probably will not work. As Jenny said, the functions.php that is standard in Platformbase. Also, "section.globalnav.php" must go into wp-content/themes/platformbase/sections and it does require some special hooks to make it work. I must apologize, but I do not know what those hooks are to get a section file incorporated. I believe Danny or Pross are in tomorrow and may be able to help.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Rob
Glad to hear that.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur