Sign in to follow this  
gustavuswyche

Why are changes made in platformbase style.css not applying?

gustavuswyche

I've used platform pro before and only used the custom css option. This is my first time using the child them. I must be doing something wrong because some changes made in the child theme css will apply, but others I still have to put in the custom css in order for them to appear. Is there a reason for this?

Rob
Yes and the recommendation is to always use Custom Code / CSS Rules. The dynamic css function created in CSS Rules will by default override anything in other .css files. However, styling in those basic .css files may also be overridden by plugins (why we see plugin conflicts often), or there may be some aspect of something else in the site that's making the default styling fail. This is why I and my colleagues always recommend CSS Rules.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

gustavuswyche
Then what's the point of the style.css in the base theme?

Rob
It provides some specific functional styling so that when your site starts up, it's styled. The dynamic functionality of CSS Rules, if blank, would leave your site a mess if there were no style.css.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

gustavuswyche
ok . . . . .where can I find a text version of the dynamic css? I am trying to work with firebug, but I cant seem to edit hover states.

Jenny
Link to your site? And anything you place is style.css can show using !important, if you're having issues. You can also check the box in PlatformPro -> Misc Settings to "Make Dynamic CSS Inline".

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

kastelic
Dynamic.css is created automatically from the settings in the database. It is based on settings from Design Control and other settings. So some elements that you need to override, you will have to use the !important declaration. You can view dynamic.css by accessing your site via ftp, or if using Google Chrome, hit F12 and click the REsources tab -> Frames, the folder with your URL, then CSS and navigate to dynamic.css