Sign in to follow this  
antonella

Create simple archive page

antonella

Hello, How do I create a simple Archive page, one that is traditionally found in Wordpress themes where you can search by date or category on the same page? I don't want this in the sidebar. Usually I just selected Archive as the template in a new page and voila. Not sure how to do it with Platform Pro. Thanks.

kastelic
Well, you can't exactly create an archive page template. All posts pages are treated the same by the templating system. If you are using the child theme you can certainly write your own loop for archive pages. YOu can either do this by modifying platformbase/template.postloop.php or by using a hook. For example: [code] //place this just before the loop in template.postloop.php if is_archive() { // put your loop here } else [/code]

antonella
So what happens then? What are my next steps for identifying a page as an archive? Does this affect my normal blog post pages?

Kate
It would only affect the archive pages (including "Categories" because those are a form of "archives"). If you don't want to alter the category search, you could add "&& !is(category())" just after "is_archive()" in Jimmy's code above.

antonella
I'm sorry, I'm just not understanding what jimmy's code is for. I don't understand what it does and how to apply it. What I'm trying to achieve is a page like this: http://thepassionateolive.com/wp/archives-2/ Thanks.

kastelic
You might try a plugin such as this one: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/sitemap/