Sign in to follow this  
gopinnyc

No Free Upgrades WHPro3?

gopinnyc

So I have to say I'm a wee bit upset that I don't qualify for this even though I only bought my template March 2.

bryan-hadaway

This question has been forwarded for better support. Thanks, Bryan

Andrew

Sorry to hear that. I'll explain... in order to support ongoing development of these themes we have to charge for 'major release' upgrades (e.g. with new features) Without this, it would make more economic sense to pump out new themes and forget the older ones. We feel the 'quality of quantity' approach is better, thus the upgrade cost. All maintenance releases are completely free (and we're getting a better system for updating you on these soon )

turki

arpowers I must say I do agree that major updates deserve an upgrade price. But it does bother me that what you consider a free upgrade is the last two weeks. I bought WhiteHouse on April 14 and I do believe a minimum of 3 months buyers should get a free upgrade or at least make the upgrade no more than $10 for such people. Paying so much after only buying the theme less then a month ago is really annoying and seriously makes me reconsider recommending your themes.

chancehaywood

Andrew While appreciate your point of view Andrew it still doesn't really make me feel any better about the fact I got less than 70 days of use out of it before you made it "obsolete". Also if you did make major upgrades you guys didn't do a very good job promoting that in the email you sent. Looking at the demo I can't really see anything other than some minor changes that impact appearance.

Andrew

If you feel like something is unfair, you can always email us. @Turki since you are so close to the deadline, we can probably do something for you.

etinteractive

I agree with @chancehaywood. I'm not happy about this either. I bought the product on Feb 8th, which is 3 months ago. Now i have to pay another 75 bucks? This is all news to me, and no where was this communicated with me, or the community as it appears above.

etinteractive

I understand your need to charge to maintain income and keep going. But you need hard rules and communicate them. For example, you get 6 months of upgrades free and then you pay an upgrade fee, which isn't full price. say 25-50? Or you offer a one time, unlimited license. Pay 199 for a theme for the life of it. unlimited upgrades for WHP, no matter the version number. Need options and need to communicate them. The more you offer the more likely you are to keep customers happy and coming back. Just my $.02

Andrew

All good feedback, this is something we'd love to figure out (e.g. make win/win). Just FYI, We've taken our model for software development from Apple/Adobe. Basically, all maintenance releases are always free. These include some new features, support for WP versions, bug fixes. When we buckle down and add new features, functionality, templates, etc... we call these major releases (WhiteHouse2, WhiteHousePro3 ) and there is an upgrade price for them to justify the additional development.

I'm not happy about this either. I bought the product on Feb 8th, which is 3 months ago. Now i have to pay another 75 bucks?
No, there is a discount for current customers. We sent out the email yesterday. If you didn't get it, just email us.

bobdamico

As a new customer using WHPro for a non-profit I'm not happy about this either and frankly the Demo is woefully inadequate. If what I am seeing is considered a "major upgrade" I don't think it passes muster. And by the way, Adobe is a horrible company to model your business after. They probably do well selling so called upgrades to Fortune 500 companies but small and medium sized operations can't afford to play along with their games. The majority of Apple users, and I am one, are not mindless idiots, changing hardware and software whenever Stevie makes an announcement.

etinteractive

I agree that modeling your software after billion dollar companies may sound good, but it's not your market. You should be looking at companies like woothemes. Who are your competition. They are wildly successful and there's a reason for it. Just my opinion. I also did not receive any email from you guys yesterday about a discount.

turki

arpowers Apple and Adobe shouldn't be your example, your not providing a smilier product or to a similar market. You should look at your competitors and the internet market for models to copy. I do appreciate that your interested in helping me with a free upgrade but this does not mean that I am happy with such policies. Please make your customers happy and improve your upgrade policy.

bryan-hadaway

It's all about timing, it's no different with cell phones, laptops, TV's, cars and so forth, there have to be improvements and upgrades, work can't be at a stand still. I personally look at it like this; if I buy a 2010 car that comes with lifetime tune-ups and repairs that's what I signed up for, that 2011 car is coming around the corner, because I have "lifetime tune-ups and repairs" that doesn't mean I now get the 2011 model because I only bought the 2010 a month before. There's no doubt that would be amazing for me, but not really fair or practical for the dealership, just my 2 cents. Thanks, Bryan

etinteractive

Comparing WP themes to cars isn't realistic. but Pagelines can do what they want, but just don't be surprised if customers leave and go to their competitors like woo. The current upgrade policy will make me reconsider future purchases here. Regards, ETI

scotman

Not starting a flame war here but in order to pay the web developers weekly you need to charge something for the product whether it be in the form of upgrades or new versions. I think what alot expect if one company offers a set price for a theme with free upgrades for life then all must do it. But I beg to differ WordPress is evolving and with every new version their is a chance any theme will break and if web developers are doing this for free then certainly somewhere down the line they will run into money problems. Each time they have to code a fix that is hourly work being done and eventually the amount of hours spent on coding outweighs the initial cost of the theme. Who is going to pay the developers to code fixes for every time WordPress gets updated or changed? Sure my wh pro v2 version will most likely work fine from 2-3 years from now but 5 years down the road I highly doubt only because it is all dependent on what type of changes WordPress makes.In order for WordPress themes to properly work it is dependent on what changes WordPress makes. I should be clear you don't have to upgrade to a new version it is totally optional you theme will not stop functioning becuase a new version was released. So I am fine with paying for new versions without free upgrades seeings how the development is never ending on both fronts. It is not like I am paying for something static that does not change. I am a Pagelines supporter becuase of the design and functionality of their themes and if you do it right your website should be paying for itself in the long run. I recently bought Camtasia Studio which is a screen recorder and editor for Windows and they gave me a free upgrade from v.6 to v.7 only becuase I bought v.6 within the time frame of a month since the P.O.S and the version update. If it was over a month then I would not expect that free upgrade. They do it as a courtesy for their customers patronage. I read somewhere on the forums here PageLines was thinking of charging a monthly price for version upgrades like other theme developers do. I would definitely enroll to save on the full price of a version upgrade.