Sign in to follow this  
adaml44

Canvas, Padding/Margins, and Footer Issues

adaml44

Hello all, I'm working on my first website. I've managed to work out/find the answers to most issues I've had so far, but I really need to get this up and running and still haven't been able to take care of a few things. Here's what I'd like to accomplish in list form, pretty much in order of importance to me: 1. make the text (and bar above the footer) fit within the new reduced canvas size (see the 'Contact' page) 2. get rid of narrow padding above the header, and have the canvas go all the way up 3. get rid of the padding at bottom of the page, and have the canvas go all the way down 4. make sure footer info appears at the bottom of the page, even on short pages (Family). [The problem I'm having here is that I can't get the actual footer section (other than a full-width, which I don't want) to appear, and am using the universal sidebar for that purpose right now]. 5. center the text in the footer 6. reduce the space between G+ and facebook icons to the same as that between the facebook and RSS 7. reduce the padding between header and nav bar 8. reduce the padding between feature slider and boxes on the home page The site is at: www.adamlillylaw.com . Any help I can get on this would be seriously appreciated. - Adam Edit by Jenny: Numbered questions to make it easier to follow my responses.

Jenny
Hi Adam. First of all, make sure you have PlatformBase activiated as your child theme (not PlatformPro). PlatformBase uses all the features and function of PlatformPro but it's customizable. If you don't have the theme, just download it from your account here. To ensure you don't lose any settings, export your PlatformPro theme settings and copy any custom CSS and custom functions to a text file (then import/paste as necessary). (Note: any code listed below should be added to the bottom of your base.css file in Appearance -> Editor.) 1. Use the following CSS: [code].fullwidth #pagelines_content #column-main { width: 860px; }[/code] 2. Use the following CSS: [code]body { padding-top: 0; }[/code] 3. The spacing you're seeing at the bottom is where your footer would normally go. It looks like you have the "Full width sidebar" active in your footer. You should remove it (PlatformPro -> Template Setup -> Site Footer). Since you're not using the footer, use the following CSS: [code]#footer .content-pad { padding: 0; } #footer {display:none;}[/code] I have some spacing that I can't get rid of so if it still exists after changes, we'll take care of it. 4. I'm not really sure what you mean. Perhaps instead of using the Universal Sidebar, you should actually use the footer section itself. You can use the 5-Column Footer and add a text widget to it via the widgets panel. You could also use the Simple Footer section (PlatformPro -> Template Setup -> Site Footer). 5. If you end up changing how your footer appears, we will have to change this. But as it sits right now, use the following CSS: [code]#sidebar_universal { text-align:center; }[/code] If that doesn't work, try: [code]#sidebar_universal p { text-align:center; }[/code] 6. The styling for this is inline. I'm not sure if you have it in your custom CSS or what, but you need to add the following CSS: [code]#___plusone_0 { padding-top: 1px; width: 60px; ][/code] Keep in mind, if you get more than a 0-9 +1's, then the number will be cut off. The better option will be to move the +1 button to the right of the other icons (and [b]not[/b] use the code I posted above) that way the button has room to expand. 7. Use the following CSS: [code]#branding .content-pad { padding: 25px 0 0 15px; }[/code] 8. Use the following CSS: [code]#feature { margin: 0; } #boxes .content-pad { padding: 0 0 0.5em; }[/code] Next time, I recommend you use Firebug (http://getfirebug.com/) because you have the ability to find all of these fixes yourself. :) I think this is the longest post I've ever responded to. lol

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

adaml44
First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to help me. I know that I'm asking a lot from y'all, and can't believe you tackled them all in one go :) I reactivated the base them, as instructed, and the only change I saw was that the nav bar now shows all pages, even the private ones (so no need to re-enter or import the previous settings from what I can see). Apparently, the narrowed canvas makes them go onto a second line, but I'll worry about that later. In the base theme the templates available for me to edit are page.base.php, functions.php, advanced.php, setup.php, template.override.php, and style.css, so I tried entering your fixes in the style.css field. This completely fixed problems #2 and #5, but the others remain. Regarding #4: I'm trying to use the simple footer, but can't get anything to display there. In the template for the site footer, I don't have anything added, but under the 'footer options' I have text entered in the 'more statements' box which isn't showing up (though I'm not excited about it promising to show this under the word "more"). I'm trying to not use the 5 column footer because I want the text to appear in one column, and the address line would be broken up if it were squeezed into 1/5 of the canvas width. However, I want the footer info to appear on the canvas (or for its background to be white as well), so if I need to do this using a widget, I'd prefer that to having the canvas stop short of the bottom of the page. Also, there' a new development with my footer. The private pages now showing up in the nav bar lead to a 404 error, and are showing a different footer than the published pages - they're showing the text from the 'Morefoot - left' widget, rather than the universal sidebar, like the other pages. #6: I'd be glad to do that if I knew how. I put the G+ code in the PlatformPro theme's template.branding.php file, and moving its order before or after the facebook code doesn't seem to impact where it actually shows up. Again, I really appreciate you helping me on this.

adaml44
#7 and #8 are now resolved as well - I don't know why those changes didn't show up when the others did. Also, I've fixed the new problem of the nav bar taking two lines by taking one page off of it. For the padding on #7 and #8, though, I was wondering: to tinker with the amount of space, which of the numbers in there would I increase? For #8, I would guess the margin, but have no idea for #7.

Jenny
Hi Adam. I don't know how I missed your reply, sorry! For CSS sizing when all 4 numbers are listed, the order is: top, right, bottom, left. For example, padding: 25px 0 0 15px means 25px for the top, 0px for the right and bottom, and 15px for the left. Hope that helps!

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.