Sign in to follow this  
sglanville

Playing nicely with Buddypress 1.5

sglanville

I am having quite a headache getting BuddyPress 1.5 to play nicely with Platform Pro. When the user registers it sends them a confirmation email and drops them on a page saying "signup complete", showing their new gravitar, and giving them the option to upload their own avitar image. The image upload is broken and I??™d like to remove it from the ???signup complete??? page. Any help would be appreciated.

Jenny
Have you tried contacting BuddyPress to see how to remove the "image upload" from the plugin?

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

Rob
You can switch to a plugin called "Simple Local Avatar" which replaces the Gravatar that Buddypress uses. I've found it much better and the over-ride is automatic. No coding needed.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

sglanville
Simple_mama I did write BuddyPress with this exact question and it remains to be seen if they will answer. On their site they specifically state that older themes are still calling up the avatar upload feature and need to be modified by their maintainers. As of BP 1.5 that is no longer supported from the "sign up complete" page. A user must go to their profile after they have confirmed their membership to upload an avatar. I really don't care where they load their avatar, it just needs to work. The simple solution seems to be to do it the way the BuddyPress supports. rangelone - I tried the "simple local avatar" and it does not work. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I uploaded and activated it without any change to the sites behavior. BTW I'm running PlatformPro 1.5.3 and PlatformBase 1.4.1

Jenny
The statement that it doesn't work with older themes doesn't really apply here. PlatformPro is certainly up-to-date and [b]not[/b] an older theme. Since @rangleone has had success with the aforementioned plugin, I would recommend installing and activating it. Since you said it doesn't work, I would deactivate other plugins one-by-one as you may have a conflict.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

Rob
Simple Local Avatars does have a settings page you didn't mention. Did you look in the Settings area and change things to meet your site's needs?

sglanville
Simple_Mamma I guess what BP means by older theme are those that were written before 1.5. rangelone - I tried what simple_mamma said and disabled my plugins one at a time. I got down to one plugin, simple local avatars. No where on my site is there any configuration, except under >settings >discussion. When simple local avatars is active there is a check box "Local Avatar Permissions Only allow users with file upload capabilities to upload local avatars (Authors and above)" Checking the box does not change the behavior of the registration screens. My users default to subscribers (don't want to change that) so that maybe the difference between what you have working and my site.

Rob
I apologize. Evidently, that plugin does have different characteristics for different settings. Actually, come to think of it, for security purposes, it's best to have them add an avatar AFTER they've registered and been validated. Why? Because if they can upload images prior to validation, they could inject SQL into your database and you'd have no idea whether they were real or not. By validating them first, at least you know that email address works; you can get their IP address and if they did do something improper, you'd have the ability to track them down (or your host's abuse department could).

sglanville
So getting back to the question that started all of this, how do I get rid of the upload avatar on the signup success page?

kastelic
Is it possible just to hide it with CSS and are they then still able to complete signup?

Rob
Please provide us with a link to your site so we can see this, find the appropriate code and make sounder, more tangible suggestions.

sglanville
OK - Fixed it. On a test site I installed wordpress, buddypress and platform pro as they come out of the box, no customizing at all. To my surprise everything worked fine. In digging through what was different on my site verses the test site there were files and folders in the PlatformPro folder that were in PlatformBase and vice versa. Its hard to explain, but bottom line the Pagelines files were totally messed up. ~X( I also don't have a clue when it happened or which upgrade (buddypress or PlatformPro) caused the problem. If anyone else is having this problem I fixed it by setting the Buddypress theme as the default and then removing PlatformPro and PlatformBase. I checked on the site to make sure there were no PlatformPro folders left. Then I reinstalled and activated the PlatformPro files, re-ran the BP theme compatibility and everything was fine.

Rob
Buddypress came out with an upgrade 2 days ago fixing 25 major errors. They seem to have had tens of thousands of complaints. And about time they did fix it.