Sign in to follow this  
anlinares

BrandNav Spacing in IE vs FF

anlinares

I love these forums! I am able to answer most of the questions I have without even asking just by searching here. But I have found a problem I can't solve. I am using BrandNav in the header. I have it styled to my liking in FF but everything is all messed up in IE. I can get over the no rounded corners and no shadows, but it seems the BrandNav navigation displays under the logo in IE. This is made even worse due to the fact that I have added top margin spacing to the navigation to line it up with the bottom of the logo (in FF, that is). Any solution to adjust the spacing in IE to mirror that in FF? Tried this (http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/11831/brandnav-issue-and-padding/p1) to no avail. http://www.dalestrong.com Thank you!! Ashley

Rob
I see you've done very, very well with CSS customization. So, here's a hint. Narrow down the padding in the navigation menu by 1px on each side. That will give you enough reduction to move the last link - Contact - back up to the main line in IE.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

anlinares
Hmmmm..... 'Contact' is on the same line as the other links in my IE. But all the links are below the logo. Now I'm really confused! Tried reducing the padding to see if it would pull the entire line up level with the logo but no luck.

Rob
On my IE, Contact is wrapped. In Firefox and IE and Chrome, the navigation is bottom right of the logo. I don't see anything "below" the logo. If the padding didn't work, then perhaps a smaller font might work.

Rob
Actually, I just went back and the padding change did work in my IE and there's no more wrapping. Again, in all 3 browsers, the nav is bottom right of the logo and nothing underneath it except the slider.

anlinares
Okay, let me show you a screenshot of what I'm seeing. Why are we seeing different things? Sounds like from your description I just need to reduce the top margin but that won't solve the problems I'm seeing here. Firefox http://dalestrong.com/images/FF_screenshot.jpg Internet Explorer http://dalestrong.com/images/IE_screenshot.jpg

Rob
I can see why you rejected my answer. We're seeing exactly the same thing in Firefox. HOWEVER, in IE, I'm seeing this: http://www.epicurus.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/dalestrongIE.png Why the difference? I don't know. It could be a plugin, an IE setting your machine has or some IE add-on, or perhaps some oddity in a CSS you may created have relative to your menu that doesn't work with IE, however, as I stated and now demonstrated, in IE9, it works exactly as it does in Firefox. Using Firebug for Firefox, I cannot find any anomalies that would create a different view in IE9. There's really nothing I can find to actually fix. My suggestion then is to turn off each plugin, one at a time (because they can often apply their own CSS), and see if it fixes for you. Another might be to go into your IE's Tools section and clear your cache. There's nothing that Platform seems to be doing to the site that is incorrect. I'm sorry that this isn't the solution you were hoping for, but the good news is that in IE9, it works.

anlinares
Deactivated my plugins one at a time to see if any of them might be the cause of the problem. No luck! However, I was using the old IE. Glad to see they have stepped up with the more CSS compatibility in IE9. I still hate IE. I feel a little more validated now that it works in IE9 but I know not everyone who views the site will have the latest version. I guess I'm stuck as is, then. Thanks for your help!! I really appreciate it. If anyone else has a solution to get the site spacing right in older versions of IE let me know!

Rob
You know in the old days... showing my advanced years... we simply used to say on a site "Optimized for viewing in..." and we'd specify the browser. You might consider that and worry less about the dozen people who'll view your site in an old browser. Most folks upgrade since Microsoft pushes them on you whether you like it or not.

anlinares
I put a link to Browse Happy on the bottom. Maybe that will urge people to upgrade their browsers without telling them directly. Feels like such a fail!! But I'm over it. Hopefully most people are upgraded. Thanks again for your help!