Sign in to follow this  
jimtron

want fixed/absolute page height

jimtron

I've got a photo portfolio site. Most photos are the same height, but the few that are shorter change the height of the page (the footer in effect rises) which is jarring when you're going from photo to photo (I'm using a slideshow plugin). Also, when photos are loading, the footer rises way up since there's no content there yet. So I'd like to have an absolute/fixed height for all of the pages of my site (I'm not having any blog pages). I assume this can be done by adding custom css code, but I'm not quite sure how to do it. Thanks.

Rob
Hi. Can you provide a link to your site?

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

jimtron
Oops, meant to do that. http://www.peerhere.com/test/

Rob
A fixed height likely won't help. Even if you were to set the height of each specific section, the images you're displaying in that slider vary in height which will push the navigation bar down, perhaps below the generally visible portion of the site. Scrolling down will cause the viewer to lose sight of your branding, which doesn't help much. I'd suggest you take a look at http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/mac-dock-gallery/ or, go to http://www.wordpress.org/extend/plugins and look for other photo gallery plugins that may be more to your liking. The point of these is that they'll resize or crop images to default thumbnail sizes allowing people to browse easily. Some of them will crop to a large size so that only one is shown at a time like a slideshow. Instead of having dots at the bottom, they'll have arrow navigation either side to allow people to go prev or next. As a photographer, you must also be concerned with protecting the copyright of your work and while your current site is stopping right clicking, in two steps I was able to grab /test/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/0011.jpg and save it to my local computer. That doesn't help you much. BTW, I did delete it. I'm sorry if this wasn't the answer you were expecting, but it may be the best thing you could do.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

jimtron
Thanks for the reply. Almost all of the photos are 536px high, but there are a few that are shorter than that--none taller. There isn't a way to keep a fixed or minimum height for the content (canvas?) area--the distance between the two faint horizontal rules, or the entire gray area (above the black footer and below the thin black line at the very top)? I'll take a look at that plugin. I've looked at a bunch of slideshow plugins and like this one. I don't want the slideshow plugin to crop my photos--I don't mind sizing them myself, which I can easily do...resizing can cause a little image degradation (having a jpg reduced in size, instead of going straight from the RAW file to the final size), and sometimes leads to part of the image getting cropped out or different aspect ratios. The slideshow plugin I'm using does have other navigation options as well as small thumbnails, but I want to keep it pretty minimal and simple (you don't have to use the dots, you can click on image to go to next one, or use keyboard arrow keys). I am concerned about my images being yoinked, and although I've installed a no right click plugin, I realize there are several other ways for folks to grab the images. There's no way to completely protect online photos--if nothing else, there's always screenshots. I have a blog where every photo is watermarked, but I don't want to watermark my portfolio images, so I'll just have to accept that some photos will get grabbed.

Jenny
Try adding this to your custom CSS and changing the size as needed: [code]#page, #dynamic-content { min-height: 500px; }[/code] It looks like the size that you will need to control is about 665px high. So you can try setting that as your min-height or maybe even just try height: 665px; instead.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

Jenny
You're welcome! If you consider this topic resolved, please accept an answer. Thanks!

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.