Sign in to follow this  
christycollins

Converting a PDF Document to a Web Page in Wordpress

christycollins

We produce sale catalogs of sale cattle. I want to take that catalog PDF and have it in a webpage where people can turn the pages (like issuu). I also want to be able to add links to video (pop up format) on top of the page. Is this possible or is their an easy way for you to point me in the right direction to start such a project.

christycollins
I downloaded video gallery and have been able to do some neat stuff with this. The only problem is that it does not seem to load as fast and play as smooth as youtube. I am uploading 7 mg .mov files. Is this understandable or is there something I can do to improve the loading? Also it doesn't seem to want to load more than one at a time, which could be a problem. I may have some gallerys that will need to exceed 50 videos or more. Loading them one at a time is not an option. Thanks

christycollins
http://www.christycollins.com/?page_id=1323

Rob
Christy, There are a number of Flipping Pages plugins - however, the free ones have extreme limits. They're not expensive, so I'd recommend buying one. They take your content and put it into a true magazine mode, where you click the top corner and the page curls over to reveal the next one - looking like a print magazine. However, you have to be very cautious about sizes as it can look very small on screen and people don't like to zoom to read every bit of your catalog. In 2003, my site was the first to "Skip Print and Go Straight to Digital", publishing the world's first all consumer magazine in digital format. It was awful. People didn't enjoy having to zoom, nor all the page turning. They asked us to stick to our website, which we did. This year, we're coming out with a new online magazine and will make it available to subscribers as a PDF they can download. WP Super Cache can help with the issue of large video size, or, as you know, delivery from either VIMEO or YouTube helps.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

christycollins
This is good, thank you. I think I need to study this some more. I am familiar with Issuu for converting to publication type "page flipping" format, but I wanted to embed video on the pages and I found on their website where they are still working on this. I suppose maybe I am ahead of myself and I don't have the coding ability to go it alone. Anyway, thanks. I have since learned to embed a YouTube channel into my Wordpress page. On another note, are there advanced Wordpress seminars, workshops or conventions that are held? I have visited the wordpress meet ups but have found them a little slow. Thanks again.

Rob
There are Wordpress groups all over. You should consult Wordpress.org for more info. I'm glad to have helped with my experience building that mag. It looked great, but it wasn't very useful to people because of the styling. Lots of folks complain that converted print mags have to be zoomed to be read. The flipping page scripts whether for WP or on their own, are respectfully, even worse as they don't occupy the full screen.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur