Sign in to follow this  
JasonLA

Hooks in Base functions.php

JasonLA

Just need a little bit of help if you wouldn't mind. I have been trying to add a like button the top of my page right under the facebook, youtube, and twitter buttons. Everytime I add a hook to the code and update it, it gives me a critical error message and I have to go into the server to correct it. I used the code that I found in the forums that others have suggested so I do not know what the problem is. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Rob
Jason, please provide a link to your site. Do you have platformbase activated? Are you using the correct hook? There are several variables.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

JasonLA
http://zoxstraps.com/ I did have platform base activated and I used this code: ` add_action('pagelines_before_branding_icons','add_AWD_likebutton'); function add_facebook(){ echo 'test'; } `

JasonLA
I also just used this code and had the same issues. // add_action('pagelines_after_branding','AWD_likebutton'); add_action('pagelines_after_branding', 'AWD_likebutton'); // function name function likebutton(){ // what the function does???‚¬???in this case adds a stumbleupon icon to the header of your theme. The class referenced in the link can be seen in the style.css // and is the image from the CSS is placed in the images folder ?>

Simon
please paste the file to pastie.org or pastebin

JasonLA
What file do you want me to paste?

Simon
the one giving you the error

JasonLA
I did that and pasted it into functions.php and it shut my site down again

Simon
what? No copy the whole file that breaks the site to pastebin, and show me it, then i can see where the error is.

JasonLA
Oh sorry about that. Here you go! Thanks!

Simon
here the section breaking it: [code] // add_action('pagelines_after_branding','AWD_likebutton'); add_action('pagelines_after_branding', 'AWD_likebutton'); // function name function likebutton(){ // what the function does???‚¬???in this case adds a stumbleupon icon to the header of your theme. The cla.... // and is the image from the CSS is placed in the images folder ?> [/code] add_action needs two parameters : 1. the action to hook into. 2. the function to add to the action. so you add_action is saying add AWD_likebutton to pagelines_after_branding. ok so first of all, you have not included a AWD_likebutton function, instead you have function likebutton() Also, php functions HAVE to have an open and a close brace, you have not closed the function! working code: [code] add_action('pagelines_after_branding', 'AWD_likebutton'); // function name function AWD_likebutton() { // php goes here... } // end function [/code] btw you do not need a closing ?>

JasonLA
Thank you so much, what kind of php do i put towards the bottom?

Jenny
I don't know PHP well but I assume Simon is talking about the PHP code for the AWD_likebutton. It's not going to automagically work, you have to tell it what to do. But I could be wrong. :)

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

JasonLA
I was actually putting the code in styles.css which is why it wasn't working but when I put it into functions.php it crashed the site again.

Rob
Jason, First, carefully read, re-read and re-re-read this page and watch the video as many times as necessary. I did it 5 times before I finally started to add a hook. http://www.pagelines.com/docs/base-child-theme Second, when adding a hook to functions.php, you need to have the right hook, not just code. In other words, the right snippet tells functions where to apply the function you want to have it do. So Pross' working code will work in functions.php if you carefully, properly and judiciously place it. People will tend to rush and make mistakes with these things. Usually, there's also a snippet of CSS needed to make the function look correct. In your case, adding a social icon will require proper spacing or they will overlap or move to all sorts of places. Let's deal with that once you actually get the functions.php done right. Please DO NOT ADD CSS to style.css. We very carefully and wisely provided you with the Custom Code - CSS Rules section so you can dynamically add CSS that can be changed as you need it. The Custom Code will override the style.css every time, so if you add something to Custom Code later, you could overwrite anything added to style.css making that fail. Your site is crashing I think, because you're making fast decisions without doing your due diligence and researching how things are done. Happens to everyone. Take time. Take it easy. Take it slowly and you'll get it.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Jenny
Just to make sure, you're entering the code in functions.php of PlatformBase, correct?

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

JasonLA
Simple_mama, yes, that is correct.

Jenny
I've asked @pross to take a look at this again.