Sign in to follow this  
JasonLA

Child Themes

JasonLA

Hey I'm not exactly a coder in any way so if you wouldn't mind helping that would be awesome. I went through the child themes page trying to figure out how to add hooks. I went into appearance>editor>functions.php. In that file there was almost no code and when I tried to insert code into the page it crashed the site. I am trying to add a like button under the twitter and facebook icons. Thanks!

JasonLA
I've done more looking into everything and I have no idea what files I need to create a child theme or how to install it, if anyone could help me with all this it would be a huge blessing!

Danny
Hi Jason, Which theme are you trying to create a child theme from?

Please search our forums, before posting!

JasonLA
From Platform Pro. As I looked into it last night I found out that base.css is now style.css so I pasted that into a text editor, and that is where I got stumped.

Rob
Jason, you're using the wrong theme. You have PlatformPro activated instead of the correct PlatformPro Base. Go to Dashboard > Appearance > Themes and select PlatformPro Base. Activate that. You may have to copy some settings over. You can switch back and forth to make sure the base works the same. Essentially, you're not using the Child, but the Parent theme. The functions.php you want is located in wp-content/themes/platformbase on your server in the WP installation. You don't need to create a child theme. Just activate the one you have and it will work fine. If you need customization help for the correct functions.php, let us know.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

JasonLA
I was looking through my themes last night and there are no themes called PlatformPro Base. Is that a outside theme that needs to be downloaded?

Rob
Not "outside" but it's separate. When you log into http://www.pagelines.com, you should see two PlatformPro items. One is base. Download and install that. As I said it goes in your root/wp-content/themes/ but do not place it under platformpro. It must be separate, so in the themes folder you should see both platformbase and platformpro folders.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

JasonLA
Alright so I did all that but now all my soapboxes are showing error messages. Fatal error: Cannot redeclare add_icons_to_branding() (previously declared in /nfs/c09/h02/mnt/135242/domains/zoxstraps.com/html/wp-content/themes/platformbase/functions.php:61) in /nfs/c09/h02/mnt/135242/domains/zoxstraps.com/html/wp-content/themes/platformpro/template.postloop.php on line 122 My website is zoxstraps.com. I went to the boxes page and all the content in the boxes is fine, and all the settings are the same so I don't know why they aren't showing up

JasonLA
Alright I understand that once I make the changes I would like to make that I switch it back to the pro theme. When I switch back do I need to move the styles.css over with it or do I just leave it in the Platform Base?

Jenny
You do not switch back to PlatformPro. Once PlatformBase is activated, keep it activated. It is the theme you should be using. It sounds like you may have over-written your PlatformPro functions.php. I would advising uploading a fresh copy of functions.php to your PlatformPro (not PlatformBase) folder. Then we can start fresh.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.