Sign in to follow this  
motionltd

Headings for Categories or different layout for categories

motionltd

Hi guys. I have a slight issue. On one of my sites the clients viewers are saying the nav is not working. Basically its because the home page shows all new posts, but when you hit a category page, the layout stays the same, and the viewer doesn't actually notice the content has changed as all its really doing is reshuffling the order. So, can I either have a heading of some kind at the top of the posts for each page/ category? So people can see where they are once they arrive. Or, can I have a different layout for the home page with latest posts, to the category pages with their specific posts. The home page needs to stay as 2 side bars on left, but the category pages could be 1 side bar on left, thus creating enough of a visual change to make people realise they have moved to another page. This is the site: www.greenwoodmsport.com Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Ben

Ben

motionltd.com

Rob
Ben, You can create a static homepage and design it any way you wish. Simply create a new page, select the template you want, add whatever static content you'd like and save as "Home". Create a new page calling it "Blog" and add nothing to it. Use whichever template you wish for that. Save. Go to Dashboard > Settings > Reading and click in the radio button for "A static page (select below)". Then, select Home as the front page, and Blog for the posts page. Now, let's deal with the categories. These are normally created dynamically by WP. However, you can make your own, with the help of a plugin. Personally, I use http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/list-category-posts/ which allows you to use a simple shortcode. Create a static category page for each and apply the shortcode. You can then add your own images, graphics or other unique identifiers for that category to the page and your visitors won't be confused.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

motionltd
Hi rangelone, thanks for your reply. I have tried the static home page thing, this means I can't have the latest posts displaying on the home page correct? If so, thats not what I'm after. We want the latest posts regardless of category to appear on the Home page, then when you click on a category, it drills down to the posts in that category only, and with a slightly different layout! I like the sound of that plugin! I'll take a look. Cheers Ben

Ben

motionltd.com

Jenny
If you want the latest posts, then just visit Dashboard > Settings > Reading and select Latest Posts. You can also make it easy to see what you're viewing by adding either "Posts info" or "Breadcrumb" to the "Posts Page Content Area" in PlatformPro.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

motionltd
Hi simple_mama Thanks for that, adding Posts Info did the trick. I just wanted to make it clear which section the view was looking at so that works. One more thing, do you know how I can change the text that appears at the top? I would like: Currently viewing the category: "News" To simply read 'Currently viewing News' Thanks for your help with this, greatly appreciated! Cheers Ben

Ben

motionltd.com

motionltd
Actually, I just found it! The file was in themes - Platform Pro - Sections - WP - sectionspostinfo.php. Thanks for all help! Ben

Ben

motionltd.com