Sign in to follow this  
chrisnial

Best practise for separating blog posts from news articles

chrisnial

I am nearly finished transferring our website into WordPress using the PlatformPro theme. It's been very easy to date. However, I have existing news articles that I want to post to the site. However, I don't want them to appear amongst the blog postings, but to be listed on a separate page. Is this possible and how would you recommend I do it? I'd rather not create pages for them as they are similar in function to a blog post. Thanks Chris

Rob
You can do this several ways. Create posts in a specific category, then block that category from showing in the normal list of posts and show them by creating a specific category page that links just those posts. The way I did it, though very much archaic today, was to create totally different WP installations for every separate section - in my case, recipes, drinks recipes, food articles, blog, discussions, magazine, etc. - and though old-fashioned, it works. At some future date when some of the WPMU bugs are worked out, I'll be perfectly positioned to merge it all. Meanwhile, my menus and links as well as some RSS customizations do the trick to tie each section to the others. Browsing the site, you would never know there were separate installations. There are many plugins that will segregate posts from specific categories. I'd suggest browsing http://www.wordpress.org/extend/plugins for things relating to category management, post management, etc.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur