Sign in to follow this  
whassupjake

BBPress installation issues.

whassupjake

I have loaded my PlatformBase 1.4.1 theme to my Wordpress site. This has worked fine. But I am confused about how to install the bbPress forum portion to my Wordpress site. It seems like there were two ways that I am seeing that it can be applied. 1. I can download it from bbPress and upload it FTP to my Host. or 2. I can try and apply the bbPress plug-in through Wordpress. In my situation I installed my PlatformBase 1.4.1 theme. I then began creating pages on my site. One of the pages I created I called "Forum" - this was just given a default page setting. I then began trying to install bbPress. I went for Option 1 (as listed above). I downloaded the files and then uploaded them to my Host. However, per the tutorial on PageLines, when I went to my www.christianschoolroundtable.com/forum hyperlink It never loaded the page. It was just a blank page. When I deleted all of the bbPress files from my Host and I would go back to www.christianschoolroundtable.com/forum it would then display the default page setting I had assigned my page in WordPress. I then did some hunting around and tried Option 2. When I applied the Plug-In and activated it I was able to see some basic forum options but it didn't look complete, or it would give me a "404" error and the page wouldn't load. At this point I've deactivated the Plug-In from Option 2 and I have also removed all the files from the Host for bbPress. I'm hoping to start again, but was wanting some more specific advice about which road to travel. Thanks for taking time to help a newbie!

Rob
Use the plugin. It does require some patience and considerable CSS tweaking. Read this. I know it's about buddypress, but also about bbpress. http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/13966/buddypress-bbpress-and-platformpro-solutions#Item_2 The blank page is the result of a conflict, particularly if you had buddypress installed. Check the settings and change the word forums found there to something else. Also, you'll find that once buddypress or bbpress have been added to your database, if you try to reinstall them, they will continue looking at settings from previous installations. To clear this, you actually need to go into the database and delete any bbPress and Buddypress tables. Only then can you do a totally clean reinstall. The 404 error tells me the plugin is actually seeing those settings I just referred to.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

whassupjake
Thanks so much for the help! That provides some great information. Do you mind providing any help on how to locate the tables I need to delete? Thanks.

Rob
They should have their own prefix. Wordpress tables, for example, will be wp_ and bbpress are usually wp_bb_ making them very distinct. Buddypress is wp_bp_

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur