Sign in to follow this  
jaybe

Blog Main Page - First 3 posts => full post content // Rest of the posts => Post Excerpt

jaybe

If I turn on "both" in the "blog and posts" menu for "Posts/Blog Page" I see the excerpts for all the posts and ADDITIONAL for the first XX (Number of Full Width Posts?) the excerpt first AND the full post... How can I tell PlatformPro to show the full post for JUST the first XX posts and use excerpts for all the other posts? => A combination... just on the main post page...

Rob
Well, you may be able to do this with some change to a template, but the question becomes "why?" The full post will likely prevent your viewers from looking routinely at older posts. The easiest method would be to provide the full length article in your excerpt area, but that has consequences. You'd have to move the content to the main body for each older article when you add a new one. Magazine Mode will give you three full width posts (not full length) and then smaller posts in 2 columns, Usually, this is an excellent method for getting people's attention if you write great excerpts. As my old journalism professor said "the entire concept of the article should appear in the first sentence or two." Those should be your guides to attracting visitors to read the full post.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

jaybe
Hi, and thanks for the reply! I do understand your point. It's still not helping my Not sure if we talk about the same thing though. Example: http://www.adina.ch/pagelines_case1.png (duplicate text) The "small" posts look great and exactly how I want it... http://www.adina.ch/pagelines_case2.png Just how do I tell WP or PlatformPro to "hide" the excerpts in the full posts? If I turn on "full story" (in full width) AND excerpts..... I can't believe I'm the only one trying to do that. Full story for the first couple of posts and then just the feature image and next to it the excerpts... Thanks again,

Rob
Okay. This is an area of common confusion. Looking at your example, it is in fact Magazine mode not Blog Mode. You may believe (because it looks that way), that the example at top is a full post. In fact, it's a long excerpt with an image embedded in it. How do I know? If it was a full post, it wouldn't have a link at the bottom. The author of that site simply created a multi-paragraph excerpt, putting a wide image at the bottom of the excerpt (rather wisely for graphic appeal). All the posts below are default 2 column magazine format posts. While I recommend only one or two short sentences, some people find long excerpts helpful. In that example, it works to have a long one. There's no physical limit to the length of the excerpt, so you could put a whole article in there. You really don't have to install anything or change settings (except to determine the number of full width posts and make it Magazine Format). One note: To make sure your site always has an even number of posts shown, balance your numbers. If the number of full width is set to 3 and the total number of posts displayed is 10, then there will be one odd one at the bottom, making the site look out of balance. In that case, using WP Settings (not Platform), change the number of posts to an odd number like 9 or 11. Conversely, if you have an even number of full width posts, let's say 2 and 10 posts, you'll have an even number displayed and the site will look balanced.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur