Sign in to follow this  
khero

Twitter feed error

khero

I looked in the forum already but i didn't find any solution. I've updated my WP version from 3.1.3 to 3.2.1 and also updated PlatformPro to 1.5.3 and now i can't get the twitter feeds to work anymore. I've noticed that in "Platform/global options", in the section where to add the twitter username, the message saying to install "twitter for wordpress" plugin has disappeared, so i'm guessing it should work even without the extra plugin? Anyways, i've tried with or without the plugin installed and still get 2 different error messages: - in the "twitter for wordpress" plugin that i've put in a sidebar i get "No public Twitter messages"; - in PlatformPro's default twitter integration module, above the footer, i get "Unknown Twitter error - MyUsername". Can anybody help? Username is correct and used to work fine with previous versions. I used to get the "No public Twitter messages" only rarely, but then it used to go back to normal. Now it's really stuck. I've also tried applying different solutions found on the web, editing cache timeouts in the twitter.php file located in the "Twitter for Wordpress" plugin folder, but didn't work so i turned everything to default. Not even mentioning disactivating and uninstalling the plugin several times to start from scratch. Thanks, Marco

Kate
Hi Marco, You definitely need the plugin. Are you able to provide a link to your site, please?

khero
sure, it's still in a development fase: http://www.italianexpertise.com/category/music-gastronomy-cooking/

Simon
We dont use the twitter for wordpress plugin, its 3 years out of date. We use the same code as Wordpress use in the jetpack plugin to contact the twitter api directly. The unknown error means your server could not even connect to twitter for whatever reason. Probably because your shared server has over 300 other sites, if any of them are abusing twitter the whole server gets blocked. There are plugins out there that use full authentication which is more advanced to setup but it will mean you will not be blocked or throttled.

khero
Thanks Pross. By this "We use the same code as Wordpress use in the jetpack plugin to contact the twitter api directly.", do u mean that i only need to insert the username in the twitter section of the global options in platform? Cuz kate is saying the opposite and i also tried uninstalling the plugins and only use platform's settings but it still didn't work. I understand that twitter for wp is old but i bought platform this year and it still said i needed that plugin in order to make twitter work. Everything was fine before updating. The host is called OVH, not my choice, so i dont know if it's not efficient from the twitter-query point of view. Seems strange to have such an issue nowadays. Anyway, can u please mention a good plugin that features that full authentication u mentioned? I would be very greatful, thanks! Thank u for your quick replies guys ;) Marco

Simon
twittertools is one i think

Danny
Hi Marco, I did a search for you and although I'm not sure any of these plugins ise the full authenitcation you seek, its worth a look and to experiement with each. http://webdesignledger.com/tools/15-useful-twitter-plugins-for-wordpress http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/twitter-tools/ http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/twitter-goodies/ (never used it before but sounds interesting) I would recommend searching the Wordpress plugins repository and see which plugins have been updated recently and have working compatability.

Please search our forums, before posting!