Sign in to follow this  
edwelly

I think I am unclear on how the Secondary Sidebar should work

edwelly

I think I am unclear on how the Secondary Sidebar should work. How I am trying to use it is that I have my main sidebar and then for a specific page, I wanted to display something different in the side bar so I used the Secondary sidebar for this. Then in my Page settings, I choose the option of Hide the Primary Sidebar. I thought this would allow the Secondary sidebar to show up. Since this is not working, apparently I do not know how to use this feature. Any advice? Thanks ~ Erik

Rob
Erik, the only problem with that is you create a "div" for the second sidebar that will be held whether it's there or not. The answer however to your goal is a plugin called "Widget Logic". This allows you to select which widgets appear in the sidebar in different places on your site. Let's say, you have a "Welcome" message in a text widget. Obviously, you don't need to show a welcome message on each post. Using Widget Logic, you can make it appear ONLY on the homepage. Widget Logic also lets you select which categories, posts, pages, etc that sidebars appear in, giving you incredible flexibility. http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/widget-logic/

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

edwelly
Thanks for the plugin. However, I am concerned this is going to be a lot of work as I want my primary sidebar to be on all pages. I am happy with that. I just want a separate side bar for 1 page. Am I going to have to go into the primary sidebar and using the widget logic to specify all of the pages I want it on?

Rob
Erik, Since you only have one page to deal with, you should only have to apply Widget Logic to the widgets that appear on that page, telling it to appear only on that one page and no others. Should be very easy. Heck, if I can do it, anyone should be able to.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

edwelly
Thank you for you help!!! I am still missing one important thing - on my page, http://communindiefilms.com/our-sponsors/, I only want the Featured Sponsors sidebar stuff to appear, not the other stuff like Login section, Forums, etc. - that is the part I am struggling with??¦ Also, what is the secondary side bar and tertiary side bar used for?

Jenny
Whichever sidebar you have the login section, forum, etc in, you will need to check the box to disable it on the our-sponsors page. The primary, secondary, and tertiary sidebar can be used to get a unique layout. For example, on one of my blogs, I have the primary sidebar as my "sidebar wrap", and then I have the secondary and tertiary sidebars as sidebar 1 and 2, respectively. This way I can have a wider sidebar on top of two smaller sidebars. (This is set in "Template Setup")

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.