Sign in to follow this  
revoltoid

Can't get sub-navigation appear.

revoltoid

Hello, When I make a page parent to another one, it doesn't get arranged under the parent page in the menu as a sub-nav item and doesn't appear under the main menu. Wordpress shows that the page should be one level down (permalinks ok, list of pages indicates its dependant) but its not visible on the site. Just for the test i have created a page called Prices and assigned Weddings as the parent. Nothing appears when you click Weddings. http://istvanmagyar.com I may have missed a setting, I don't know, can someone please advise on what could be wrong, thank you.

Rob
Hi. The setting you're missing is that you need to create a subnav menu in Dashboard > Appearance > Menus. You must have your PRIMARY, then Secondary menus. You can have as many uniquely named secondary menus. Each secondary menu should have any links, including pages, categories, individual links, etc. that you wish. When you edit/create a page, you select the specific secondary menu you want to appear on that page. They do not appear automatically, nor are secondary menus automated unless specified. That however, would not be the best practice. Always best to create your own secondary menus and make sure you coordinate them with the pages/posts on which they're to appear.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

revoltoid
Thank you for getting back rangelone, I have a funny feeling that we are talking about two different things, I think what you described above is the secondary navigation, and what I need is a sub navigation. If I am wrong, that means the Pagelines Docs need some attention to make it more clear :) This is what a Pagelines help file says at http://www.pagelines.com/docs/menus-navigation 1. "To use sub navigation, make sure this option is activated under ???settings??? > ???header and nav???." Well, I don't have any options that refers to sub navigation. All I have is an option to turn on/off drop down menus. 2. "Sub navigation in PageLines themes uses the natural page hierarchy you create when adding or editing pages. You create this hierarchy when you select ???parent??™ pages (on left on ???Pages??™ > ???add new??™)." This says 'natural page hierarchy I create when I add or edit pages' 3. The video explains how to create sub-navigation. It doesn't say I have to create a menu for the sub nav items. All it says is to assign a parent to a page and that makes it automatically a sub nav page. 4. The video also says, "sub nav navigation pages use a different method other than these menus to get their structure" referring to the menu creation method in the main menu's case. 5. But I followed your instructions and created another menu and put 'Prices' page in it. Then selected it as Secondary Navigation for the 'Wedding' page and tadaam, 'Prices' appeared under 'Weddings', so it seems this method works. 6. However, what if I now want a proper Secondary Navigation for the same page? Lets say I would like to have another five menu items in a secondary menu which is just above the footer area? I go to the template setup and I move the drag and drop item labelled as 'secondary navigation' to the end of the list, which will make it appear above the footer area on the specified page type, correct? Now I have lost 'Prices' from under 'Weddings' and although it is on the same page, it is now a secondary navigation item above the footer and not a sub navigation item under the main menu. 7. But ok, lets say I am wrong, and the two things are one and the same, sub nav and sec nav, same thing. Then why on earth should I follow the video that says assign a page as 'parent' if I want a sub nav item? As I have reset the 'Prices' page and removed 'weddings' as its parent, and the 'Price' page is still there in the secondary navigation. Rightly so, as it is a secondary navigation item now, not a sub nav item. Am I wrong? Thanks

Rob
I apologize. Secondary and Sub Navigation can be awfully confusing, even to me. A Primary menu may have a drop down (sub nav) menu with hierarchy (see my site http://www.epicurus.com/ and select any menu item with a drop down arrow). The secondary navigation, as I learned it, was a single line of links (with no additional sub-navigation) that you select to appear on specific pages or posts from the settings for that page or post. (If that makes any sense.). The option to create "Sub-nav" is the option for drop down menus. So. In reply to section 5, I'm happy it worked. For section 6, the purpose of "Primary" navigation is to be "site-wide". Effectively, the basic menu for your entire site. You may create drop down options as it says, by dragging a menu item slightly to the right. You get a total of three levels 1. Main Menu Item (parent) -2. Child Menu Item (child) --3. Grandchild Menu Item (grandchild). You can have a drop down menu for each "Main Menu Item"... of course my terminology is not necessarily the same as everyone else's, so again, forgive that. Again, looking at my site, you'll see in the menu only "main menu" items. The child menu items are the next tier down... and grandchildren open to the right. (See EGO: OUR BLOG >About.) Not that I would recommend it, but the Primary menu will wrap if you have too many main items. So you could have a Primary Menu on 2 lines. PLUS the Secondary Menu... for the page. The idea behind the hierarchy is to narrow down your options so you don't need gigantic menus and people can get around to all the major places. The idea behind the "Secondary Menu" is to let you get around once you get to that destination. I'll try this in simpler terms (for me more than you)... In my site, I could have Food | Drinks | Glossary | Recipes as my main menu items. I could have under "Food", in hierarchy "Cooking Techniques" as a sub-nav child and "Cooking Meats" under that. But there's more to Cooking Techniques than just a few things, so I could create a "Secondary Menu" with things like " Broiling | Baking | Roasting | Sauteeing | Frying | Braising ". When a visitor gets to the Cooking Techniques > Cooking Meats page, they can have the specific secondary menu for that group of techniques. Sorry for the long, drawn out discussion. On section 7 of your post... let me say again, Parent refers to the top level of the menu... as described above. You can't create a Primary menu hierarchy without a parent item on the list. You can't have a primary menu without one parent added to it. You should read this. http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Menu_User_Guide I'm sorry this took so long to write... and delayed my reply. I've had lots of interruptions.

revoltoid
Thank you for the detailed answer. Your site looks very impressive, full of content and very organised. I have read the docs you suggested, they are very helpful but still not about what I would like to understand. I went further in the wordpress docs and found out it is about 'subpages' in a way. So tried to look up 'subpages' in the forum here and found a few threads dealing with exactly the same question: Funnily enough someone is looking for the solution to hide what I desperately want to appear! Please notice, he/she didn't create a menu of any sort, it automatically appeared - the way I expect it. http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/763/subpage-issue/p1 Another example of what I am looking for. Mr Munns even posted a screenshot. Please notice that the sub nav appears under the selected main menu item and is not a secondary menu placed under the main navigation and it is not a drop down menu either. http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/2815/menus/p1 Also, please do have a look on the first video on this page. It is not a created menu, it is not a drop down menu, it is a row of links to subpages created automatically by assigning parents to subpages. sub nav explained from 1:35 http://www.pagelines.com/docs/menus-navigation I am getting really confused why this is not working. There is a slight chance I hid it in the past and now it needs a code changed? I don't know. Thanks

Rob
I've bumped this up to a developer for a reply.

revoltoid
Thank you rangelone, hopefully someone can help.

Rob
I'm sorry if I was too long, detailed and doubtlessly boring. It is possible for a secondary menu to pick up new pages. But there's a HUGE drawback to that. Essentially, page names. I realize that for your current site, you're looking at Weddings then Pricing, But, suppose the next page you created was called "Resources and Savings for the Cost-Conscious Bridal Party". Well, that title, long as it is, would appear in your Secondary Nav, if the option is selected to add child pages automatically. Instead, by adding the menu item manually, you could call it "Cost Saving". Perhaps it's wrong of me, but I'm trying to steer you away from a design blunder everyone seems to make. Another issue with automated secondary sidebars is the lack of order. You cannot control at the menu level, where links appear in sequence. I see on your site Pricing Item I Item II and Item III. All perfectly valid. But by automation, if Item I were "Animation and Flash" then it would be the first because of alpha order. Still another big concern is the creation of child pages. Not everyone knows how to do it or does it consistently, so manual creation becomes important as you don't expect to see it there, so you normally look. I realize this is a naive perspective, but I'm considering human nature here. We may be creatures of habit, but we also forget minor details when they're not used every day. Hope this helps. Meanwhile, your aim of getting a secondary menu on the wedding page seems to have worked.

revoltoid
Thank you, not boring at all, I appreciate it! Well, if the automatic sub-nav means that I have no control on the order of menu items, that makes it not that attractive to me, as I like controlling everything to get the look I want. Although I wouldn't use long titles, I would word them to look good on the menu, but I certainly would pay attention to the order of the items too. The secondary nav did work and it is totally controllable which suits me well. I'm experimenting how to make it look good and integrated. I might move them to under the feature slider right above the content area, very close to what a visitor will actually be reading. Well, thank you very much for your ready help, I will concentrate on this controllable secondary menu from now on. Best regards, Istvan

Rob
Istvan, I'm glad it all worked out for you.