Sign in to follow this  
Rob

Buddypress, bbPress and PlatformPro - Solutions

Rob

I know many of us are having issues with Buddypress, bbPress and the way they look in Platform. Believe me, this is no fault of Platform. The CSS from Buddypress and bbPress are incredibly invasive and domineering (kinda like my ex-wife, but let's not go there). For two weeks I've been going crazy because a mystery secondary sidebar appeared ONLY on the forums page. Nothing I could do removed it, even though it wasn't in the Layout Design. I couldn't even remove it successfully from the page itself. Something was just forcing it to stay. Finally, I found the solution. I had to go into the bbPress settings from Dashboard > Plugins > Installed Plugins and use the Settings for bbPress. I found an error caused by the default settings of both bbPress and Buddypress. The Archive Slugs for bbPress cannot be "forums". Only after saving will you see an error display next to that field saying "Possible conflict with Buddypress Forums". I changed the word from "forums" to "community" and saved my settings. I went back to my Discussion Forums to discover that the secondary sidebar was now gone. Still, I had problems with the formatting of the entire setup. Going to Dashboard > Appearance > BP Compatibility, I unchecked the option Disable BP Template Pack CSS. Everything suddenly aligned perfectly and the site looks very good. My one problem now is that the labels for each Topic Title are too large a font size, but I should be able to control that with CSS. If anyone has been having problems with Buddypress and bbPress, please follow these guidelines.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Jenny
Great tips! Hopefully they help someone in the future.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

ernest8888
Is pfp v1.53 compat with buddypress 1.5 and buddypress theme pack 1.2 thanks for the help i will need it when I get there and Is that also the solution for the bbpress plugin? But my issue is with buddypress theme pack v1.2 and platformpro

Rob
Yes. PFP 1.5.3 is compatible with Buddypress 1.5, the latest themepack and latest bbpress plugin. There are more settings in Buddypress, BP Compatibility and bbPress that must be configured carefully. CSS is required because they add their own to make it work on their own theme.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur