Sign in to follow this  
timman

BuddyPress 1.5 and Platform Pro

timman

I've just purchased Platform Pro, and followed all the set-up instructions for using it with BuddyPress. It's all over the place and a visual disaster (that's just using the default settings and example content). Does this mean it's not 1.5 compatible? And if so, how long will I have to wait for a version which works? Thanks!

Rob
Actually, Buddypress does require more tweaking than it's worth, BUT, it is compatible. I just upgraded and it does work. May we have a link to your site?

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Sourena
BuddyPress needs "BuddyPress Template Pack plugin" to work on PlatformPro. Are you sure you installed BuddyPress Template Pack plugin correctly?

alefba.us

Web Development & Design for Right-to-Left languages

Rob
And you need to run the BP Compatibility function as well.

timman
i'm already using BuddyPress on several sites, and set up this installation on a test server, where I had a working demo using the default BP theme (all fine - and it's not the only theme which works ok). I watched the videos in the Docs section, did everything in order, and yes, the Template Pack plugin is properly installed. Platform Pro is installed using its default settings. I was led to believe from the documentation it would all work out of the box (and for $95 it should). There's no way I can use this on my live sites if this is how it's going to look. I'll be grateful for your help, but I'm a bit shocked by how far from what was promised this seems to be, given how the theme is marketed. Three search boxes? The page you see at http://biguyz.com/members is what I'm presented with if I navigate from the Dashboard.

Rob
Timman, When you said "a mess", we all presumed it was really a mess. Actually, what you're experiencing is a common cross theme problem with Buddypress. it tries, by default to occupy full width, no matter how the theme is built. To ensure this, it adds itself "above" the rest of the loop. The solution however, is easy. Add the following (adjusting the 615 to your specs) to your Custom Code CSS Rules: [code]#content .bbp-forum-info { width: 55%; text-align: left;} #content table tbody tr .bbp-forum-description p { margin-bottom: 0; font-size: 13px; font-style: italic; text-align: left;} #buddypress-page #content{width:615px; float:left;}[/code] You may also need to change some of the settings in Buddypress or bbPress to ensure that your site's CSS is in control. (Not that either really ever let that fully happen.)

timman
Thanks for the code. I've added it. I'm still seeing three search boxes on the Member directory page, sidebars in odd places, and some which shouldn't be there at all. I'm about content, not code, so can't tweak anything unless it's with a "Save" button. I was enthusiastic about the "drag and drop" approach you offer. This is such a long way from the user experience that was promised on your web site and in the videos, I really, really regret buying this. I chose it because it implied that BuddyPress was "pre-integrated". (Incidentally, I used the WhiteHouse theme on a plain vanilla WP blog for more than a year, and loved it, so I'm theoretically a big fan of your work)

Rob
Timman, I did say you need to adjust the 615. You may also need to adjust the total page width. I did from 1020 to 1060 to make mine fit. Please keep in mind this is all the result of Buddypress' need to occupy the full width which happens on hundreds of other themes. To the best of my knowledge Platform is prepared to deal with Buddypress or bbPress, however, no matter which theme you use, including their own, it still requires setup and considerable attention to detail. I'm sorry if you are disappointed and have sent this to the developers for their attention.

timman
From what I've seen of how badly this works, I appreciate the need to adjust the width, but there's a lot more going on than that (and I had no problem with the default theme). The premium theme I am currently using on my live sites is excellent, and worked instantly with no configuration issues, but BP 1.5 unexpectedly disabled some features, and their theme upgrade isn't ready, which is why I turned to your company. The fact that with Platform Pro there are three misaligned search boxes on BP pages appearing out of nowhere - for example - suggests that there are other issues of incompatibility which customers like me shouldn't have to be dealing with themselves. At the moment, it's not fit for purpose, its BP readiness is being over-hyped, and I'm glad you're conveying my extreme disappointment to the developers. I won't be able to use it on my live sites, and essentially I've thrown away $95, which makes me angry. Such a shame, because - as I mentioned before - I had a good experience using one of your themes before; but I'll never buy one again.

Rob
Timman, I have it working, albeit not perfectly at http://www.epicurus.com/discussion If you're really dissatisfied, please email hello@pagelines.com.

timman
Thanks for the link (and you summed it up); I've sent an email.

Rob
Timman, I'm very sorry you feel that way. If you Google "buddypress layout problems" you'll find that almost every theme is having issues with it and have been for years. Almost all the forums have problems. In fact, the core reason they make their own themes is to ensure it works someplace. At present, Buddypress looks pretty good on my site, except that mysteriously, in the forums page, it creates an empty 2nd sidebar that doesn't exist in any other setting anyplace. Where it comes from? I've no idea. I don't even know how to remove something that doesn't exist. You can imagine, I sympathize with you. However, for almost all these problems, eventually, with a bit of tweaking, it can all be resolved. Statements you read were absolutely true for prior issues of both PlatformPro and Buddypress, but as both grew and came out with new editions, they sorta got sidetracked from each other. It happens with all software. Again, I apologize for your dissatisfaction and hope you'll give PlatformPro a chance. It really is the best of all the themes and platforms out there.

timman
"Statements you read were absolutely true for prior issues of both PlatformPro and Buddypress, but as both grew and came out with new editions, they sorta got sidetracked from each other." Given that I relied on those statements, and paid $95 yesterday to PageLines as a result, that's completely unacceptable, and if this were a UK company, would certainly be grounds for a very serious complaint to Trading Standards. In the circumstances I've requested a refund, and I'm sure PageLines will deal with that quickly and honourably. I've already made it clear that I'm never going to use PlatformPro on a BuddyPress live site , as I'm not prepared to accept the quality of the result; it's unprofessional, and in turn, devalues the reputation of the company that makes the theme. I'll just have to wait for my existing theme to have its 1.5 update (it displays perfectly - the issues post BP upgrade are minor, but irritating); there's a release candidate, but a couple of bugs need to be sorted. This company - PageLines - has some other very good products for WordPress, so I don't want to go on about this. I just want a refund and to move on.